We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Thought I would post this on the Istanbul thread and not just on the general "Turkey" thread.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all

I'll be going to Turkey in October! My husband has a meeting in Istanbul on Oct. 22 and 23-we need to be there the afternoon of Oct. 21 for a dinner, and are planning to leave on Oct. 24.

That leaves us Oct 17-21 to fill with fun (I'd be arriving the evening of Oct. 16) We'd like to visit Ephesus, Pamukkale, and get in some beach and hiking time before heading back to Istanbul for the dinner on the 21st. We could rent a car, take the train, or even fly. I was thinking fly into Istanbul and then transfer by a short flight to the farthest destination (beach?), then work our way back north to Istanbul by whatever means.

So, I have a couple questions:

1) First of all, does this seem a do-able itinerary?

2) Is October still a good time to visit the beach? Given my time restraint, I would think the Aegean would be a better choice but I'm not sure it would be as warm as the Med at that time of year. We are more interested in quieter beach scenes-not the 24-hour party places. We love to hike, see ruins, swim and snorkel.

Thank you so much for any help!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

I am assuming you are flying into Istanbul;so you could take an internal flight down to Izmir to visit Ephesus.From there pick up a rental car and drive to Pamukkale and from there head straight down to Dalyan or Fethiye.It would only give you about 2 days there depending on what time you arrive in Istanbul,fly to Izmir etc etc but you are correct in thinking it will be warmer there than the Aegean coast in October.

You can then drop off the car at Dalaman airport(if you hire from a national company like Hertz or Avis) and take a return flight back to Istanbul.

Had you been coming earlier then you could have stayed in Kusadasi which would be more convenient-you still could but it will be getting cooler by then.

I know it seems like a lot of flying but given the distances and your time constraints this is the easiest way to do it.

Hope this is a help to you.

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Hi-and thanks for the advice. Do you have an idea-how long would the drive be between Pamukkale and the coast? The internal flights are so cheap-would it be a better option to fly?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

It's 235km from Pamukkale to Fethiye - about 3.5 hours.

That's on the main road, it's nicer taking the 200km route via Çameli, but slower.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,715 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Hi Michellesullivan,

A route like the one below sounds feasible.

Oct 16.....Arrive have dinner and rest, at Sultanahmet. Recommended hotels Apricot, Darussaade, Alaturka.

Oct. 17.....Fly to Antalya with a 11.00 AM flight. Rent a car at Airport. Drive to Beach Park area. Recommended hotel: Hillside Su hotel. Enjoy the beach and the gorgeous pool. Stroll around Beach Park.

Oct. 18.....Drive your car south via Kemer, Tekirova. Get to Cirali Beach area. Driving time 1 hour. Recommended Hotel: Hotel Canada.

Oct. 19.....Start Driving again to Denizli, Pamukkale via Demre, Kas, Kalkan, Fethiye and Cameli, Acipayam, Denizli, Pamukkale. Leave around 8 AM from Cirali, long drive, spend 1 hour at Fethiye. Recommended Hotel: Venus Hotel at Pamukkale.

Oct 20.....Drive to Selcuk, Ephesus. Stay at Sirince Village at Ephesus. Visit Ephesus. Recommended hotel: Kilisealtı Pansiyon. "www.nisanyan.net/otl_view.asp…". Ephesus 8 km., Izmir Airport: 64 km.

Oct 21......Leave Sirince for Izmir. Leave car at the domestic terminal. Fly to Istanbul around noon. Flight time 50 minutes. Check in hotel and be ready for dinner.

good luck,

enigma...

5. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2009, 18:05
Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Beware, this guy only posts to make promotion for this agency. probably self-promotion, so not honest thing to do.

Babylon, New York
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

I would definitely follow enigma's plan. You'll get a taste of the real Turkey - Kusadasi is much more touristy and doesn't seem to make as much sense for what you wanted - and if you get a diesel car the gas will be costly but the mileage will be great - and if you self-tour you lose the cost of the organized ones in favor of more freedom.

The only suggestion I would make in enigma's schedule is not to stay in antalya at the beach but pick up your car at the airport and head straight for Hotel canada in cirali - - that way you will be there before nightfall so you can hike up the Chimaera - a very cool experience.

You may be trying to fit in too much trying to drive the coast and see Pamukkale as well. we overnighted in cirali, woke up early and explored the ruins at Olympos, had planned to leave by noon but didn't start out until 2:00 - stopped in Phaselis (and so glad we did!) and didn't arrive in Pamakkule until just after 5pm - - any more would have been WAY rushed - as it was we dropped Termessos from our drive.......

Venus hotel was nice - and we were up at daybreak (drive to the top of the travertines (don't walk up - the best viewing is at the top anyway) and save time to swim in the hot sacred pool. It was a cold April morning when we were there but the swim was delightful! - just remember towels, which we didn't. If you skip exploring Hieropolis, you'll have time to see Aphrodesias on your way to Ephesus area - and do take Enigma's advice and stay in sirince!!. We actually liked aphrodesias in it's wild glory better than well excavated Ephesus - though both were wonderful in different ways.

Like you we had planned to drive the coast and pack everything in, but decided to give up the drive to Fethiye. Though I'm sorry we missed many beautiful sights, in retrospect I'm glad we did it the way we did.......

how lucky that you get to squeeze in a vacation around business!

Bonnie

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Thank you all for your amazing suggestions. At this point, I'm torn between staying with my original schedule and spending 4 nights at the Bellerofon in Cirali (looks amazing) before Istanbul, or going ahead and taking a few more days vacation and exploring Ephses/Pamukkale/Aphrodisias on my own B4 meeting hubby in Cirali. It kind of depends on whether our son comes with us. It would be hard for him to miss almost 2 weeks of school to do the longer trip, and he's not that into ruins anyway-though he would love Pamukkale. If he comes it will probably be Cirali and Istanbul. Nice to have this decision to ponder!

Babylon, New York
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

How old is your son? OUrs is almost 14, and though he didn't have to miss school this time we have pulled him out other times. He'll have much time for shcool work on his transatlantic flights, and teachers can assign him things to do with his travels (Aaron had to assemble a multimedia presentation on how Istanbul bridges eastern and western cultures).

Kids learn WAY more from travel than they do in school - and they can always catch up - especially if you collaborate wihtt he teachers in advance.

And the ruins that are not so carefully resotred (Cirali and Aphrodesious in particular and forumites can tell you more) - are wondrous to boys who feel like Indiana jones......

Go for it! :>)

Bonnie

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days in Turkey-itinerary help please

Haha! I agree with you Bonnie. It's convincing the husband that's hard!