We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostess gifts

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Hostess gifts

We are planning to visit our Turkish daughter who lived with us on an student exchange several years ago. That visit will include not only her but her family. Even though we won't be actually staying with her parents, we would still like to get them an appropriate gift as a way of thanking them for sharing their daughter with us when we were her host parents. The problem is that I am never creative or insightful about these things. I can't think of anything uniquely "American" other than tawdry souvernir junk and I want to honor them more than that. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostess gifts

Hi,

Check previous answers fo rthe same question:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1104…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1165…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1966…

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostess gifts

This is an on-going issue for us as we continue to strive to discover gifts for our Turkish friends. I have now reached the point where I just ask people if they would like anything from the US.

I get some interesting requests including marshmallows and Peanut Butter cups. You can, however, buy peanut butter in Istanbul, just not the chocolate and peanut butter candy.

More unique are requests for vitamin and dietary substances such as Glucosamine and Fish Oil capsules. These are very personal requests, but I add them only to illustrate that people have very different ideas about things they would like to receive.

For young people, sports wear is exceptionally popular, and I have never made a mistake with a shirt or ball cap with a sports logo.

I like to take things that are unique to my location in the US. We take coffee table books of the southern US and unique candy made in Florida. If you have a photo of the daughter whom you share I would purchase a really nice frame and take it with me. As a parent I know I would appreciate a gift like this. You can find a unique photo frame here that you may not see in Istanbul.

3. Re: Hostess gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 05:35