We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lnd
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Shopping

I need the below listed things and wonder if I should get them before I go in London or in Istanbul. Are they available/ cheaper in Istanbul?

-sports shoes - grey/ not bright white or fluoro colours

-summer clothes for UK size 12

also-books - I want to read a lot of English language books and do not want to be stranded in Turkey without any.

Thank-you!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

There are plenty of shopping opportunities in Istanbul - but I would make sure you have all your essentials, and enough clothes for your visit so that you are not spending precious time in a strange city looking for things that you really need! Also if you are staying in the historic area, you won't be near 'those kind of shops'.

I find that women's shoes aren't that great in Istanbul (unless you go to the malls where you can find some fantastic things but you would pay the same sort of prices you do in the London).

west coast
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

there are several bookstores on Istiklal caddesi,in beyoglu,that carry a few books in english.check this site:http:/

/www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Shopping/bookshops/

foreign language books tend to be expensive in Turkey.

Lnd
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

I plan to spend a few wks there and will be with a local so hopefully that should help things. I have asked him re shopping for these things and he says it is all available over there, but not sure how accurate this is, despite his best intentions. No doubt I will find these things, but whether they are just right for me is the question. My high st persuasion is Gap, Zara, Benetton, Jigsaw, Cos...

Thanks for the advice you've given, appreciate it.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

If you go to the shopping malls, you will find all the brands you mention and some great Turkish ones too - but the prices are more or less the same as London (unless there are good sales on) - and some are more expensive.

If you shop in local areas (Kadikoy for example) you can find some interesting things are good prices (although you have to hunt a bit) - but do you want to spend your holiday shopping for essentials? Generally in Istanbul we have found men's clothes are generally better than woman's - unless you go to good designers!

Also as a previous poster said, I have always found English language books very expensive in Istanbul.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

sports shoes : definitely buy in London

summer clothes : you may find more choices and bargains in Turkey, and I would suggest leaving it to Istanbul and enjoying the shopping. Also, summer sales are already starting. However, if you want to stick to American or British brands, M&S, Gap, Tommy H, Donna Karan and the major designers are usually more expensive here. The Spanish brands like Zara are about the same price. The Turkish brands like Mavi are cheaper.

books : buy in London where you will have a much bigger selection to choose from in addition to the higher Turkish prices already mentioned.

There are two small bookstores on a side street off Istiklal, near the Galatasaray Highschool which sell specialty books. At Homer bookstore, the price are exactly the American or UK prices converted to TL at that days exchange rate. They have books on Turkish and regional history, politics, etc, and also a good collection of Penguins as well as psychology, anthropolog, philosophy. The bookstore next to Homer sells mainly books related to Anatolian archeology, but also has copies of John Freely's travel books, which I strongly recommend for the information (otherwise, somewhat dull reading)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Re books: From what you say, you sound as though you like reading and will be in Turkey for a while. If you just want to read novels and so on, maybe some frequent visitors could recommend hotels or cafes (probably in Sultanahmet area I imagine) which operate book swaps. I am sure even if you are not staying in the hotel, they might allow you to swap, and likewise in the cafes for the price of a cup of tea or something!

Lnd
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

Thank-you all very much! I'll make sure to get essentials over here bef I go!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

I think that is a very good idea. You will enjoy your shopping in Istanbul far more if you can buy things that you see and like - rather than having to hunt around for essentials (which even in a city you know well can be depressing!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping

Oh goody shopping, my favourite subject

Good Turkish brands similar to Zara/Mango/H&M (but nicer :-) ) are, among others, Park Bravo, Ipekyol, Mudo, Yargici, Network, Fabrika, Machka which can be found in Akmerkez mall, Metro City Mall, Istinye Park Mall along with other big malls of the city. There are also Mango, Zara, Topshop and other similar shops there as well, but the Turkish brands tend to be cheaper. UK size 12 is usually Turkish size 40.

In these malls there are also sports shoes shops and good bookshops selling an excellent selection of English titles : Akmerkez has Remzi and Kanyon mall has D&R. These bookshops have branches on many shopping areas around Istanbul. The prices are not that bad, I regularly shop for English books from these shops. (though Heat magazine may be more expensive, lol)

Happy Shopping.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping

On the topic of books: I have some sort of phobia. I have panic attacks if I am anywhere without at least one spare book. Even though I strive to read slowly, I usually read a book in 48 hours. So, when we go to Turkey for two months, one entire suitcase is filled with paperbacks. This reading issue may be the single largest problem in my marriage because my husband hates carrying a suitcase filled with books.

I do find lots of choice of popular novels in bookshops in Istanbul, but they are expensive, often twice as much as I would pay at home.

Several hotels where we stay have book exchange opportunities, and I always take advantage to drop off books I have read and find something new.

However, I have solved the problem of carrying books. I recently received a Kindle. This little electronic book permits me to carry 1000 books in something that weighs only a few ounces.

It is now my number one travel recommendation for people who cannot leave home without books. The Kindle is a bit pricey, but worth every penny not to hear my husband grumble any longer.