We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which side should i stay on ?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
which side should i stay on ?

hi, im going for a week me and my wife both fifty we want a nice hotel close to turkish restaurants cafe,s and within easy travelling distance of the main tourist sites, we dont mind crossing the water to see the sites if we stay on the so called asian side but so many websites make out that it could be a bit risky walking through certain parts of istanbul so i dont want to take risks but i thought perhaps staying on the asian side there would be more traditional restaurants etc and perhaps we could take the ferry across each morning to see the palace and and great mosque,s and bazaar etc, what do you think ? is this a good idea or should i stay in a hotel on the european side and avoid the asian side ?

istanbul
Level Contributor
124 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which side should i stay on ?

i think u should stay in europe side. there are more things to see, to do in europe side. But you can take a day or two to go to asian side, depending on how many days you have in istanbul. But history, shopping,nightlife etc.... is better in european side.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which side should i stay on ?

Definitely stay on the European side - and I would suggest to stay in the Sultanahmet. That way there are plenty of places to walk at night, lots of restaurants to choose from, a very safe area, and close to all the sights. You are only a short downhill walk from the ferries (or two stops on the tram) to take you to the Asian side. You are also close to your hotel if you want to return with shopping, to take a break etc

The Asian side is primarily residential, and while interesting and certainly worth a day trip (or more if you are on a long or a return trip where you can discover hidden gems - like Ciya restaurant and the nostalgic tram etc) - things are far more geared to residents and there is little to see compared to the amazing historical sights on the European side.

If you want to spend an evening as Istanbulis would however, spend a night (or more) in the Beyoglu area.

3. Re: which side should i stay on ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 08:05
4. Re: which side should i stay on ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 08:05
scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which side should i stay on ?

hello, thankyou very much for your kind response to my questions, very helpful indeed, i wonder about the two other replies that have been removed by tripadvisor staff as they were thought to be inappropriate replies ? could you tell me ...was there something in my question that offended and led to these two inappropriate posts ?

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which side should i stay on ?

There was nothing in your question that was offensive.

They did remove one of my posts where I linked to both DE Kozano and Alper's blogs.... (which do not advertise - or promote businesses).

Obviously that is no longer allowed - or someone complained!

Don't worry - the forum is a strange place these days!

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which side should i stay on ?

hello, thankyou very much , you are all so FAB taking the time to answer questions, no doubt we travellers ask the same stuff over and over and over you are so kind thanks again bye.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which side should i stay on ?

Definitely stay on the European side. The ferry from Europe to Asia is quick, but is stops before 9pm.

On the European side you have a choice of staying in the historical area of Sultanahmet, os across the Galata bridge in Beyoglu, where most of the best nightlife is.

It is easy to travel between these two areas by tram, taxi or walking. I think Istanbul is a very safe city. At night we found everywhere was still busy, so you should not worry about this.

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which side should i stay on ?

I terance

I have been searching hotels and hotels websites on another forum for you. Can't you make up your mind?

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which side should i stay on ?

hello george hello emma , thankyou both very much for taking the time to help me, i have made a decision, i intend to get accomodation on the european side, emma ...i cannot make my mind up about a hotel there are so many with good reviews , i had narrowed my list to two hotels namely the aruna and the rast but then i read a forum discussion that was suggesting that the rast reviews may have been posted by staff at the rast hotel so that made me think again.i would gratefully receive any suggestions you have.thankyou very much.