We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
265 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

is it the Euro or the Turkish Lira???

which 1 is more accepted at the shops, restaurants, malls, and most of the places in istanbul???

thanks,

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

Turkish lira is the national currency and it is better to use this where possible as it saves a lot of confusion and potential problems but many places will accept euro,sterling and US dollars too.You will find many banks and changes offices if you need to convert to lira.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

cab drivers must be paid in Lira,they cannot give change if you give them euros. also,for public transportation,lira is necessary.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

While in Turkey, use the Turkish Lira. It is always advantegous.

enigma...

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

Turkish Lira. Don't pay with other currencies unless 100% necessary.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

I think you are 90% right about using Lira's. But what to do in Hotels prices are quoted in Euro's and give a lousy currency exchange rate if you pay in Turkish money?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

Hotels to be paid in Euros/USD.

Everything else in Liras. You get very good exchange rates at the airport too. So you can go and exchange there. Even the banks in Turkey give very good exchange rates. So don't worry calculating how much you should convert and carry. Its easy to get money converted everyday there. You are never far from money changers in Istanbul.

Currently u get abt 2.16 Lira for 1 euro. Hotels will give you just 2 Lira.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

I didn't find in Istanbul any banks where money could be changed, but I found money changers, little shops with a sign - Kambiyo gişesi giving a proper exchange rate.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

I went into banks in Istanbul in Taksim sq. to exchange money,no problems. there is also an American express office in the Hilton hotel. money can also be exchanged in "doviz buro". I got a really good rate. use atms to get lira.

the exchange rate is what YOUR bank is using that day,not the Turkish bank. I think hotels give the room costs in euros because it is easier for most people to understand. When I used my debit card,the costs were in lira,and my bank converted it to dollars.

9. Re: What is the main currency to use while in istanbul???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 05:16