We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick pocketed on trolley

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baden
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pick pocketed on trolley

On a recent day-trip to Istanbul, I had my purse in front of my stomach, across my shoulder and someone still managed to steal my wallet. I will never return to Istanbul. I have no need to be violated that way.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

I am very sorry you had such a horrible experience.

Sadly it is a fact of life that you can be pick pocketed in virtually every city around the world - especially on public transport when people are packed together.

I have even had my bag snatched only 5 mins from my house!

I am more sorry however that the actions of one scumbag has coloured your view of Istanbul as a whole.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

sorry you were robbed,but it does happen,all over the world.

Istanbul is not unique in this. I wouldn't let it ruin your opinion of Istanbul or the Turks. I am sure Turks have this happen as well.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

That is a very nasty experience that surely ruins ones holiday. It ruined mine several times in France. As Istanbul is a 15 million population city there is a (either small or big) chance this can happen. It can happen anywhere in the world, it is not unique for Istanbul, and in fact Istanbul is one of the safest cities in Europe. I hope you have reproted it to the genderme, they are very keen on arresting people who ruin the cities image.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
405 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

Abbie. That can sadly happen anywhere. My husband was pickpocketed in Florence on a bus, and my camera was stolen out of my waistpack in Sarejevo on a trolley. We'd love to return to both cities.

Rather than souring us on a specific city or country, we learned from our experiences. We both now carry our money, charge cards, and passports in neckpacks under our clothes (or leave our valuables in a hotel safe if available), and my replacement camera is in a safepack purse that can't be cut into and has an extra lock. Now we don't worry about what we carry with us.

Don't let one bad apple ruin your vacation or sour you on a fascinating destination.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

I too am very sorry for your experience, but as the previous poster suggests, try using a moneybelt, neckbag or bra stash for the valuables you need to carry with you and leave the rest in your hotel or cruise ship safe. Then you can enjoy your travels everywhere without any pickpocket worries.

Baden
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

Thank you to everyone who commented on my unpleasant experience. I may return to Istanbul someday but will definitely be better prepared - and that's the case for everywhere we visit in the future. Thank you.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

Again, I am really sorry this happened to you. Istanbul is a fabulous, magical and evocative city, and I am so sorry that this horrible experience meant that you didn't see it like that.

I hope you do return and have a much happier stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

I agree, pickpocketing can happen anywhere. I was pickpocketed in the Duomo in Florence, Italy! I didn't imagine it could happen in a church!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

this kind of crime is one of opportunity and you can protect yourself to a certain extent,doesn't matter where you are.unfortunately,professional thieves are smarter than we are and know how to get your possessions.

Baden
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pick pocketed on trolley

Thank you to everyone who responded to my message. I will definitely be more careful in the future. I realize it can happen anywhere. It was just disappointing because I felt I was being so cautious. Anyway, I enjoyed the rest of my trip and will return someday! Thanks.