We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription medicine

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Prescription medicine

I may need to find an English speaking doctor in Istanbul, in order to obtain a prescription for some medicine. Can anyone please suggest how I find a good English speaking doctor? Will the cost be prohibitive? And what about the cost of prescription medicine (a prozac equivilent) - will that cost a lot? Thanks heaps!

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription medicine

You can get prozac or prozac equivalent like Paxil or the other group like citolopram, citol, etc. without a prescription in turkey. Just go to any pharmacy and ask for it. If they do not understand your pronunciation, write the name on a piece of paper.

You cannot buy stronger or habit forming drugs, codein containing pain killers and so on without special prescriptions, which should not be given just by any doctor.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription medicine

For your second question, medicine is usually cheaper in Turkey than in western europe and america.

28 Paxil 20mg. costs TL25, i.e. USD17, 30 Cymbalta costs TL47.

You can also get antibiotics without prescription and at good prices.

sorry but Tamiflu is not available easily.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription medicine

the Turkish word for pharmacy is :eczane

edgezahnay

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,914 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription medicine

I paid for my antibiotics 9.80 TL and for some really modern and well working pain killers Apranax Forte 7.62 TL.

In Germany at least the antibiotics are much more expensive and you won`t get it without prescription.

In former years many Germans bought their medicines at Turkey, EG Aspirin and oral contraceptive pills, and brought them to Germany.

But nowadays it is forbidden and if they control you you just may keep pills for your personal need, along the time of your stay. They will take off the other medicines and you have to pay a high fine.

That´s a pity because medicine is very expensive at Germany, much more than in other countries.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription medicine

So here is one more reason to come to Turkey for inexpensive drugs that are available without prescription.

enigma...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,914 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription medicine

Do we really need another reason to come back to this wonderful city:-)))?

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription medicine

Hi patara , I 'll go back for the country, loukoums and many other things but not for drugs, as in France we get them fror free! we just give the prescription and the "carte vitale" to the pharmacy , this is all.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
419 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription medicine

But please carefully type or print the generic chemical name not the brand name, which may not be available as such in other countries. Example would be Prozac=fluoxetine hydrochloride. Also you can join iamat, free (http://www.iamat.org/) and they will get you a list of english speaking medical providers anywhere in the world you request.

9. Re: Prescription medicine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:17