We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

Hi,

I am planning a week in Istanbul in a group of 4 couples 50-60 y.o.

and looking for a place to stay close to the historic sites. I've been scanning the internet for days now and would appreciate your help.

I've read the suggestions on the forum but the recommended hotels are either booked or the prices are rather high. We are looking for a doubles for Eur 50-100/night , 28. Dec - 4 Jan.

Would you have any suggestions?

Hagia Sophia Museum \/ Church (Ayasofya)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, History Museums
Basilica Cistern
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins
Eyup Sultan Mosque (Eyup Sultan Camii)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

hi. hotels in sultanahmet are close to the sights. check the hotels link here on the left side of the page. they are all reviewed by TA members. others here will be giving you suggestions as well. if you are looking at the four star places,then the major chains will be the choices. are you looking for lots of amenities,or boutique? what is your

budget for a hotel?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

Well, we were thinking of spending not more than 80-90 Eur/night for a 4* hotel, but in that range seem to be only 3* hotels available at Sultanahmet - Dec/Jan period.

Since we are going to stay for a week it would be nice to have slightly bigger rooms and better equipped bathrooms.

All in all - from my Internet research it seems that we have 2 choices:

1. 4-5* in the Taksim area - where the rooms are better but the service is not that good and may also be pretty rough at times :-) And food is pretty expensive (We would also like to be able to bring our own food/drink - but I've read that at many hotels it is strickly forbidden. )

2. 3* or boutique hotel at Sultanahmet, where the rooms are smaller and rather basic but the service is friendly and personalised and the guests have more freedom.

I'd vote for a boutique hotel at Sultanahmet, my friends think though that for that price we can be better off at CROWN Plaza Old Town (Taxim) for example... The price is good (although no breakfast included) but the reviews are not that great... The size of the rooms seems to be a roulette :-)

What would you say?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

See my reply to your other post.

I think you would be better in the Sultanahmet area as this is where you are going to spend most of your time if you are first time visitors to the city.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

I am going to do just that - stay at a boutique hotel in the Sultanahmet area.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

We always stay in The Apricot in Sultanahmet. It is a tiny and very modest property that falls within your budget requirements. Since there are only six rooms, your party of four couple would pretty much fill the hotel. A couple of the rooms are significantly larger than the average room in Sultanahmet. All of the bathrooms are rather luxurious and substantially larger than the average bathroom in Sultanahmet.

The hotel itself is more than adequate for our needs, but the service is why we would never stay in another hotel. Hakan, the hotel owner, goes to exceptional lengths to make sure that every guest has a pleasant experience not just in the hotel, but in Istanbul in general. He will help you plan every step of your Istanbul experience if you desire. I always say that the staff of this hotel knows what I need before I know it myself. It enjoys a fantastic location near all of the major attractions, but on a tiny, quiet street where the only noises you hear are the prayer calls.

I would absolutely encourage you in your decision to stay in Sultanahmet. When I visit Istanbul I like to wake up and know that I am in an area that is ancient and exotic. I get much more of that feeling in Istanbul than in any other area of the city. I do not want a "cookie cutter" hotel experience in Istanbul, and that is often what you get in a chain hotel outside of Sultanahmet.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

I agree that Sultanahmet is the best location for you - but you may struggle to find a boutique hotel who can take you all as most are pretty small - especially the ones in that price range (as that is high season).

That was why in your other thread I suggested that if it was a problem, either booking into several hotels around the one area, or else look at self-catering where you could all stay together like the Sultanahmet Suites.

Make sure you book early though as it is a very popular time to go!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

I am just negotiating with Arasta Boutique Hotel - the reviews are enthusiastic and the hotel seems reasonable - even if the prices are not (85 - 120 Eur/ room/night depending on the room :-)

Any comments?

Istanbul
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

Blue House Hotel, Seven Hills Hotel, Spina Hotel, Rast Hotel, Nena Hotel or Faros Hotel .. pick one

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

I agree with you about spina hotel.There are also Fehmi bey, Celal sultan in quiet streets just by the hyppodrome.Spina also is in a very quiet street but a few meters from the blue mosque.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Istambul Dec/Jan ?

I can't comment on your choice (the Arasta Boutique) except to say the location is really good. Maybe PM someone who has stayed there and reviewed it (someone who has more reviews or forum postings to their name so you know they are genuine).

Always be a little wary of people who review things with no forum history (wherever they appear) - they may be genuine or they may not be.