We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Hi All Experts!

Need your help. I'm going to Turkey next Spring 2010 and really want to go to Istanbul Tulip Festival in Emirgan Park. I know it's around Apr - May; but does anyone knows the exact date?

Thanks!

Ti Chan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

when I went last year,it was just ending,around the 12th of april. I am sure you can google the festival and get the dates.

it is a beautiful festival,sultanahmet square was full of tulips of every color,as well as other flowers,and there were tulips along the roads in the square. I also attended the festival in Emirgan,many years ago when I lived there. that was amazing to see,thousands of tulips everywhere. I guess you know the tulip is from Turkey originally?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…tulip_fest.html

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Tulip festival in Istanbul is always held in April, in the beginning until mid. In 2009 it was between 12-19 April, so it will be more or less the same dates in 2010.

Besides Sultanahmet and generally all around the city, the main location of the festival is Emirgan park along the Bosphorus. It's quite impressive to see all different colors and shapes of tulips blooming in the city.

By the way, everybody thinks that tulips come from Holland. Actually, Tulips are native to Central Asia and Turkey. In the 16th Century they were brought to Holland from Turkey (Ottoman empire back then), and quickly became widely popular. Today tulips are cultivated in Holland in great numbers and exported, thus people thinks that it's Dutch. But, tulips are the symbol of Turkey. Just for your info.

Burak

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

buraksan,thanks for the info. I really enjoyed the festival last year,so much color and beauty to look at. I do remember the festival in Emirgan,my family lived very close to Emirgan,in balti limani.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

buraksan,what does tulip mean in Turkish?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Tulip is lale is Turkish. I love love love the tulip festival. Two of the best places for me were Topkapi Palace gardens and Bukuk Camlica (big hill on the Anatolian side).

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Hi all,

Here're my photos from 2007: …photobucket.com/albums/…

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Oooh I never knew there was a Tulip Festival in Istanbul. Definately something to add to my bucket list.

Any chance one of you Istanbul DE's could PM me when the dates are decided?

Thanks x

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

lovetravelUs,

The botanical name for tulips, Tulipa, is derived from the Turkish word "tulbend" or "turban", which the flower resembles.

In Turkish we call it "Lale".

Burak

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Date is the Istanbul Tulip Festival 2010?

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your replies! Looking forward to see sea of tulips in it's original country!