We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

Today we are finishing the request list we have from our family, so we headed for the Grand Bazaar. After walking around and not finding what we needed Mr BR left me at a corner and went looking on his own. He often does this because he can walk so much faster than I can.

In a few minutes a kind shop keeper brought out a small chair so I could sit. After looking around for ten minutes I became bored so I pulled out my Kindle. I just keep it in my purse as I am often left behind while Mr. BR scouts out the territory.

Almost immediately my shop keeper came to look at it and ask if it was a computer. I tried to explain what it was, but my Turkish and his English made it impossible. However, we were attracting people like a magnet. Soon someone arrived who spoke great English so I explained the concept. There were lots of admiring comments, and a bit of disappointment when I had to tell them that the technology is not available in Turkey yet.

Almost instantly, however, the people started to comment on what a great idea it is because it saves paper, which saves trees, which is better for the environment. I had a discussion of environmental ethics in the Grand Bazaar.

The best part of this experience was that when Mr BR returned he found me surrounded by young, handsome Turkish men. I tried to convince him they were attracted by my physical charms, but he figured out quickly that it was technology curiosity.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

To be surrounded by handsome young men could only ever be very agreeable-whatever the reason :) But now I must show my ignorance.What is a Kindle?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

a kindle is an electronic device on which you can download e books and newspapers. it is rather expensive,but easier to pack I suppose. I realize it saves paper,but I enjoy reading a "real" book.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

BR, you fell for their ploy. These men will use anything. they must have been very disappointed when Mr. BR returned. It was not only your physical charms, but also your aura of peace and completeness.

I hope Mr. BR found what it was that you were looking for. Otherwise i would definitely be disappointed in Kapali Carsi.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

Young, handsome Turkish men: life is good!

BTW, the Kindle is the #1 best seller on amazon.com at this time, and the 6" diagonal one only costs $259 (but free shipping).

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

OC are you jealous?????

Kindles sound a great idea.I've never heard of them but then I am the original techno dinosaur :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Original-Wireless-…

kindle is to books what Ipods are to music,portablility and easy access. I have an Ipod but as I said,I still like books.they are great for traveling to Istanbul,on the plane.

I hope they don't replace books for good!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

I fear that I´m a bit old fashioned but I prefer a real book too.

But for traveling it might be a good option.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

I also prefer books, but my husband prefers that I use a Kindle. I read lots of books. Since retiring I have tried to slow my reading rate, but I still finish one about every two days. When I travel I bring a supply. One of the on-going arguments in our marriage is my suitcase filled with 30 books.

Our daughters gave me the Kindle for Mothers Day, but I told them it is really a gift for their father. Now I can put one hundred books in my purse!

And even better, I can surround myself with handsome young salesmen, who are awed by my device and do not even mention carpets or leather coats.

Kindle technology is not yet available in Turkey. I get books on my Kindle by ordering them directly from Amazon on the Kindle Store. They are then transmitted to the device using "Whispernet" Amazon technology. Sixty seconds after ordering one, it is available to read. Amazon's "Whispernet" service does not extend to Turkey yet, but I am confident it will in the near future.

So, much as you love those printed pages, Sari, there may be a Kindle in your future.

otherchelabi, I am reading your post to Mr. BR. I personally think you are correct.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

Perhaps I should buy one too, a group of nice young guys around me are on a rare occasion;-((.

What kind of books are available for you, even new and actual ones or more classical ones? I think this service isn´t available in full volume in Germany.

And are you able to concentrate yourself on reading while travelling? I´m always much to distracted:-)!

Tschüss

patara01

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center of Attention In the Grand Bazaar

I can see this would be really useful for travelling. I find, even at the minimum, I carry 3 books and 2 maps with me when I go to Turkey and I'd really like to take more.

However, I've learned that I only need to take one novel which I then swap for another at a hotel that has such a service. But I would love to have about 10 reference books with me - 1 or 2 for each ancient civilisation I visit there!

At the moment my minimum pile for my next visit includes The Blue Guide, "The Formation of Turkey - The Seljukid Sultanate of Rum", "The People of the Hills" and "Life and society in the Hittite world", but I reckon even that is too much for my motorbike!

"One of the on-going arguments in our marriage is my suitcase filled with 30 books." LOL.