We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's and credit cards

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Topic
ATM's and credit cards

Good evening

A quick question......do ATM's in Turkey require 4 number PINs and can credit cards be sign only?

Thankyou in advance

Lee

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: ATM's and credit cards

Hi Harish_12, I think you ask this same question on May 8 and were assured that it would not be a problem for you to use your 6 digit PIN. For more assurance you could read this brief thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5541…

We also answered your question about using Euros. Many places will take them, but you will very likely loose money in the transaction. You are in Turkey and it is better to use Turkish currency. Just get Turkish Lira from an ATM. You can also exchange your Euros for TL if you wish. I generally do that at exchange places near the Grand Bazaar. The worst rate is at the airport.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: ATM's and credit cards

@Busy-retired, Thank you!

I missed your reply earlier..Thanks a lot, appreciate it..

Arnhem, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: ATM's and credit cards

ATMs in Turkey .. you might want to stay away from the HALKBANK ATMs. I received a counterfeit 100 Lira note from one of them (no watermark, front and back glued together). I found out at the airport some two hours before my flight would leave so I didn't bother reporting it (besides it's only around 35 Euros). Reporting it to the bank afterwards got me a nice email saying "thank you for your interest in our website" and nothing more.

Stay away from Halkbanks!!!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: ATM's and credit cards

HaPi_42, Good observation and I agree with your recommendation. This should have been a no no!

enigma...

Prague, Hlavni...
1 post
Save Reply
55. Re: ATM's and credit cards

I got my debit card eaten today at Sabiha Airport at ING ATM at 20:00.There was nobody to help mi to get it back. At hotel,i used internet banking to send money to my other account, and when I am back home in Europe,i will simply asi for a new card.It happens!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: ATM's and credit cards

Life is so much easier now that we have so many ways to manage these issues.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: ATM's and credit cards

do all the airports in Turkey have ATM machines

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: ATM's and credit cards

ladyfisher, Yes, they do.

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: ATM's and credit cards

Thank you. Enigma > I thought I would use ATM's at the different airports rather than have a lot of cash on me.

As a senior solo traveler I want to be as prepared as I can without glitches.

Appreciate your input.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: ATM's and credit cards

Hi ladyfisher, Frequent use of ATMs eliminates the danger of carrying large amounts of cash. I would make a couple of suggestions. Be absolutely sure that you have notified the fraud department of your bank about your travels so they do not freeze your account because it is suddenly being used in a foreign country.

I would also go to my bank and make sure I have the best ATM card possible for foreign travel. Our card does not charge for ATM transactions in foreign countries, which makes it possible for us to use it frequently without financial penalty. All banks have a variety of financial products which they do not necessarily advertise. Often they are available to long-term customers or those with significant investments, but you should certainly have that conversation before you travel in case you can obtain a better ATM/Debit/Credit card.

Finally, if you have more than one credit card, debit card or ATM card on more than one bank, I always travel with a back-up card in the event that I should lose my card, or it should be frozen for some reason.

Until the fall of 2013 we never had a problem. Last November the fraud department in our bank first declined our card and then limited us to withdrawing no more than 50TL each day. We were able to correct this with a Skype call to our bank, but it is nice to avoid those problems all together so you can focus on your vacation.