We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA's average hotel prices?!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
TA's average hotel prices?!

I was just looking at the top three hotels on TA today - and thought their prices looked a little unlikely.

As such, I checked the hotels' websites for their rack rates at peak season just to compare. TomTom Suites for example, which TA show an average cost of €559/night, was showing a deluxe suite at €190/night! A massive difference - and one that is likely to put visitors off pursuing bookings any further. In fact, it shows the Four Seasons as being cheaper (and the cheapest I could find a room there for with breakfast was €550)!

At the other end of the scale, TA shows the Sebnem Hotel as averaging €57 - but for a double room at the same period as I searched for TomTom Suites, the rack rate is starting from €90.

Anyone know where these figures come from? They are just so misleading to people using TA to help decide on hotels!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

Its the same everywhere. I dont know where these prices come from but they are totally irrelevent!

You might find the following link of interest - things you might not know about TA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripAdvisor

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

I agree GTTD,

the prices are always a bit out of wack...and how they come up with them ..only TA knows themselves..possibly they get their pricing from such sites as booking.com, HRS.com, or expedia ?? perhaps..

also averaging out the yearly prices based on low season / high season, single, double and or suit rooms etc...

Edited: 27 March 2010, 14:19
Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

Yes, they are very misleading, GTTD. It's unfortunate, because I'm sure some people do rely on those average prices to come up with a initial list of potential places to stay. Hopefully, people currently planning a trip will see your post and be forewarned.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

When I did my homework to find rooms throughout Turkey on our recent visit , I did use the Tripadvisor hotel reviews for travellers feedback.

But when it came to hotel rates, after looking through booking.com, hayek.com and other hotel engines, I would always go to the hotels own website to compare rates.

Invariably the rates were always available for less on the hotels website and even though the posted rates seemed reasonable hotel to hotel, I also made it a point to email them and ask for a further discount while using my credit card.

It is expensive enough to travel and savings that can be found should be taken advantage of.

When you consider that we are using after tax dollars it pays to do your homework and to barter and negotiate as much as you can.

Perhaps on my next trip overseas, I may become a busker. Bread and water anyone!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

I've never found hotel pricing accurate on TA, quite the opposite actually. It's unfortunate b/c some hotels don't list room rates on their website. Instead they have you contact them, and provide the rate offline.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,153 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

We often made the experience that the TA prices have mostly been misleading. And the rates of hotel booking agencies as well. All those prices are pretty random.

It´s always reasonable to contact the hotels directly, ask for the actual price for your demands and perhaps for special offers like airport transfer ASO.

I have noticed that if you don´t answer immediately sometimes they contact you again and offer you a "new" price or any promotion rate.

But I was very amazed about the "real" price of the TomTom Suites, almost a bargain for this luxury accomodation.

Tschüss

patara01

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

Also remember that if you are contacting the hotel's directly, you can often get offered extras such as free transfers, cash discounts etc that are not available booking via agents.

I was also amazed by the TomTom Suites real price - and also the I'zaz Lofts (the largest of which is only $150/night) - both of which are now on my list if I am looking for Beyoglu accommodation, and which I had not even considered looking at because the TA 'average price' was so high.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

Hi Folks,

I am not sure about the formula TA uses to establish the hotel prices. However if based on averages of all kinds of rooms and suites, then Tom Tom suites has 4 different kinds of suites starting from 190 Euros and going all the way up to 600 Euros averaging out to 325 Euros (their website, for late May, double room). I also used hotelscombined.com. Sirkeci Konak is pretty much correct around 184 Euros (hotelscombined.com) and average prices of all rooms at Osmanhan Hotel, according to its website, is 94 Euros, a bit less than 103 Euros indicated by TA.

In conclusion based upon my very little sample research which is definitely not conclusive, some average prices seem to be accurate and some a bit off and possibly some way off. Just like Mrkooks says, I always recommend all potential visitors to e-mail the hotel for actual quotations for the period and kind of room they want. I think only then the potential visitors will be able to compare hotels based upon price also, beside other factors like location, quality of service, extra offers (like cash discounts, free airport transfers, free dinners, etc.), and various amenities.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

I recently completed a cross-country road trip in the US. We had no specific schedule, so I did not make reservations for hotels more than a few hours in advance. As always, I used TA reviews to select the hotels we used.

I absolutely never pay any attention to the prices quoted on TA. They are never accurate. From Georgia to Wyoming, not a single hotel price on TA was remotely close to what I paid.

I also do not often pay the price quoted on the hotel web site. Especially if I am making a reservation for a room on the same day as the reservation. I offer the hotel less money than the advertised rate on their web site. In my experience, hotels generally prefer to rent a room for $20 to $30 less than they are asking, rather than not rent a room at all.

We will not be successful with this method in Istanbul because rooms are at a premium, but if you are traveling out-of-season in less popular destinations, or in places where the supply of hotels exceeds the demand this always works.

It will not work in Istanbul during the summer because many hotels are fully booked, but I have not paid more than $45/night for a hotel room in Orlando Florida for more than three years. This area is seriously over-developed and if you are willing to bargain, you can obtained reduced rates.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: TA's average hotel prices?!

B-R ..... Congrats!

You are a kindred soul. A frugal traveller.

More people should ask for a discount. I do all the time and will often walk from a transaction if I feel that it is better for the merchant to have an immediate sale rather than a definite maybe. It is always within reason but so often will depend on my NEED for the product versus my actual WANT.

My frugality formula is 2=1. I must have earned $2.00 before tax so that I may spend the $1.00 I have left over after tax, allowing for all the taxes we pay out.

Therefore looking for a reduction in anything I buy is merely a natural reflex after all these years and a financially wise use of time considering the money I do save versus time expended in asking.