We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
427 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

We will be doing most of our Istanbul sightseeing on foot. There is only one day that we will be using public transportation - a combination of the nostalgic tram, the funicular, and the IDO ferry from Karakoy to Kadikoy. and return. That would be a total of twelve jetons total, since there are two of us.

Are the same jetons used for all three types of public transport? Can we just buy twelve of them in the morning, so that we don't have to stand in line each time?

Thanks again for your help.

Mentioned in this post
IDO Ferry
IDO Ferry
57 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

GoneTravelin, you can use the same jetons for all those different modes of public transport.

enigma...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

if you purchase an "akbil" you can both use it and save some money. only difference,you can't use it on the Bosphorus cruise,but can on the regular ferry boat. you can buy them at kiosks at the tram stop in Sultanahmet,on divan yolu,taksim square and other places in town. I kept mine as a souvenir.

Mentioned in this post
Bosphorus Cruise
Bosphorus Cruise
1,316 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
427 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

Thanks Enigma and LovetravelUs.

When we add in the cost of an Akbil itself, is there really much of a savings? Also, how would we know how many YTL to put on the Akbil?

And how would we know how many of the YTLs have been used up on the Akbil at any point in time? (The Akbil may be more trouble than it's worth since we will only be using public transportation for one day.)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

GoneTravelin, Akbil is not for those who will use the public transport for a day only. However, if someone intends to stay at least 3--4 days and intends to use the public transport extensively, then Akbil is very convenient. By the way "YTL" is no longer used in Turkey. "TL" or Turkish Lira has replaced it.

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
427 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

Thanks Enigma. That's what I thought about the Akbil. So we'll just stick with jetons, and get lots of them before we set out for Kadikoy. The rest of the time, we'll just be doing lots and lots of walking. Also thanks for the correction about Turkish Lira. Hopefully I will be well-informed for our trip in less than a month. Can't wait!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

My experience was that you cannot use the normal TL 1.5 jetons on the Tunel funicular, but have to obtain separate ones at TL1.

When in Kadikoy make sure you eat at Ciya I really enjoyed the wonderful food. For a first time visitor it is not perhaps that easy to find so if you plan to go have some idea of its location!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
427 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

Thanks for the additional information macsym. Ciya is also in our plans. I've already printed out lots of maps to help us get there without getting too lost.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

GoneTravelin, Here's Çiya's own map. Click on the map to enlarge it. "http://www.ciya.com.tr/index_en.php?contact".

enigma...

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

No you can't!!

I have an akbil but friends of mine who came bought a bunch of jetons at a tram station and then they didn't work at the ferry station. Apparently you need different ones.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
427 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can the same jetons be used on ferries, trams, & funicular?

Thanks for the map info enigma.

I'm really confused about whether or not we can use the same jetons on the different types of public transportation. There seems to be lots of conflicting opinions on this.