We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

I do not know if Martha Stewart is internationally known, but she is well known in the US as the epitome of gracious and creative living. I subscribe to her magazine so I can read the recipes just before I go out to eat.

I just received my June issue of Martha Stewart Living, and, as always, turned to her calendar to see when to trim the peonies.lol. I discovered that she is scheduled to arrive in Turkey on June 19. The following day (Sunday) she will cruise the Bosphorus. (I suspect she will not take the public ferry as it will be crowded on Sunday.) The next day she visits the Spice Bazaar in the early morning and then Aya Sofya. On day three she goes to the Grand Bazaar and then over to the Sakirin Mosque. Day four she goes to Cappadocia where she will "join locals in weaving traditional carpets and learn to make manti". On day five she takes a hot air balloon ride and tours Kaymakli. On day six she flies home.

All of this will be captured by her video crew and she will show it on her shows for next season. I am especially interested to see her weaving a traditional carpet. I can't wait to see if she has a method for weaving your own at home. I hope this is one skill she will leave to the professionals.

At any rate, if you are in Istanbul on those dates, you will know where to find Martha and her crew.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

well,it must be official,istanbul and Turkey have been discovered by Martha. it is nice to see our favorite place getting so much recognition! all the articles in the NY times and Conde nast traveler's top 100 hotels in the world. I just hope Istanbul won't become a victim of its own success.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,683 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

BR, Thanks for the info. The more exposure of Istanbul's beauties in America, the more interest in Turkey there will be. We want to see more Americans in Istanbul and Turkey.

enigma....

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Yes, sure Martha Stewart is well known out side of the USA - most especially for having served a 5-month jail sentence for securities fraud and lying the federal investigators - perhaps not the best "epitome of gracious and creative living" that I can think of.

Of course she wouldn't take the public ferry, that's far too beneath her. But, if she does, then given her history, hang on to your wallets!

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

BR and Dude, thanks. love your off the beaten track posts.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Well, of course Martha Stewart is well known in Turkey as well, and not only for the news reports.

She has a program on tv on channel 50 for the Digitürk satelite receivers.

And of course as we say to everybody else; 6 days is by far too short to come and see Turkey! If you read this Martha, extend your holiday!

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Do you think she needs a lady in waiting? Or someone to carry her bags?

I can bow and scrape with the best of them LOL.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Well she did not go down very well on a recent visit to Cape Town. Martha Stewart’s visit to Cape Town will be remembered for all the wrong reasons!

If you are particularly interested you can read all about it here:

whalecottage.com/blog/…

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

Interesting link macsym. Hopefully, in Turkey she will be making no public speeches. I am sure it is inherently impossible for her to speak without promoting something she is doing.

I am no great fan of this lady. Every time I read her magazine or watch her TV show I am merely reminded of all the things I never do. In the US, however, we have come to expect that the rich and famous will have engaged in some type of business fraud or personal scandal at some point. Martha joins a long list of people who have run afoul of insider trading laws or other ethical lapses. Most of them are embraced by the public in spite of their flaws. Frankly, if we discarded all of our television and movie personalities, political leaders and business leaders because of a small scandal, we would have many fewer people to admire.

The only respect I really have for Martha is that she did not string out her conviction with endless appeals, as so many other people with high powered defense lawyers would do. She swallowed her pride and went to prison. Many people expected her empire to fail. Five months later she was behind her desk, and her company is now stronger than ever.

I would have absolutely no fear that Martha would steal my wallet. I doubt Martha would want to even touch my wallet. She lives in a rarefied world where I do not even breath. I think the citizens of Turkey and those who are visiting should have no fear of having her steal their wallets.

I think it probably will not hurt Turkey to have Martha air some footage of her experiences in the US. Not many people here have any information about Turkey, and I doubt this promotion will do Turkish tourism any damage.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

any publicity is good for tourism. the past is the past.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Martha Stewart Goes To Turkey

How can Martha come to Turkey and not do a Blue Cruise? I would love to glean her ideas on how to make a Christmas wreath from an anchor chain, or a prom dress from a Dacron sail!