We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciya

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ciya

I've been to to their wonderful website where they have very detailed English menus. Do they also have English menus at the restaurant? (I would assume so, but would like to be sure.) Do you recommend Ciya Kebap or Ciya Sofrasi? Thanks

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
171 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul Bosphorus Cruise with Dinner...
96 Reviews
from US$100.00*
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ciya

Ciya kebap has reasonably good but standard kebaps, which you can have at other good kebap restaurants.

Ciya Sofrasi has pre-prepared Syrian Christian cuisine home cooking type fare from Norther Mesopotamia which you cannot find at other restaurants in Istanbul, except at Cercili Murat which is further at Suadiye and more expensive.

They have meats, dough, wheat and vegetables cooked separately and together, some of which are interesting combinations and with sour plums and cherries or apples.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ciya

A good evaluation by OC of the two restaurants. Be assured that there will be menus in English. The only thing to note about these restaurants is that they do not serve any alcoholic beverages if that is important to you. Be sure to save room for dessert. They have the best kunefe I have eaten any where.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ciya

No, having actually been there, I'm pretty sure that there are no menus in English in Ciya Sofrasi, you have to enter the restaurant and then choose your dishes in a semi self-service - the mezes are on the right as you enter and on the left are the chefs with the steam table, from where you can order hot dishes.

It's a question of "look and see" and then choose!

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ciya

Things must have changed BR thensince when we ate at Ciya Sofrasi in Oct. 2009, because they most certainly didn't have any menus at all then - not even in Turkish! You had to go to the cold meze station just inside the door on the right and point out your choice of dishes which were then weighed and you are given a paper with the cost on, and returned to our table outside and our meze selection was brought to us (and meanwhile the table had been laid with bottles of water and bread). We then went inside again to see what the chefs in the window on the other side of the door had to offer and, having made our choice again by pointing, this was written on another piece of paper. If you wanted soup or lamacun or some hot starter, you would have to get this from the chef station. The waiter who guided us as to what to do had a smattering of English, but it was beyond him or the chefs to explain what a lot of the main dishes were! Remarkably it is a very unassuming local almost like a cafeteria sort of place, but the food was absolutely quite delicious.

It is strange because as you say Pasqualino, their website is wonderful and available in English! I would study (try not to drool too much!) the photos and descriptions of the dishes and check out the daily menu which is seasonal and I believe that you can see most of what will be on offer when you go!

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ciya

Hi agree with dudisimo, unless they've changed their system significantly since i was last there (admittedly a few years ago) they don't have menu's at all, let alone in english.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ciya

That was pretty much our experience too - our waiter has a little English - just enough that we managed to let him know that we were vegetarian... After that, we just went on his recommendations and it was all fabulous! We are looking forward to eating there again on our next trip and trying even more dishes.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ciya

Does anyone remember roughly how much it is?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ciya

There is a lot to choose from, so it's (really) easy to over order. Lunch at Ciya Sofrasi with bottled water is 15-20 TL pp. The bread is baked onsite - and it's great.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ciya

I remember it wasn't an expensive meal at all - and as it is priced by weight, you only pay for what you want.

Our waiter also told us that while they don't serve alcohol, he could go and get us a beer if we wanted it!

As there is a menu on the website, there may be one somewhere in Ciya, but they didn't seem to be in evidence at all when we were there.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ciya

Hi Heido,

We paid 44 TL for lunch for 2 last Oct - for a plate each of our selected cold meze, and a main course each (I can still remember my small beef meatballs cooked with sour cherries - yum!), bread and water, and a complimentary oregano tea. No room for an Efes after that lot!! (nor in fact a dessert - but they have a fascinating selection of candied turnips and fruits we ought to have tried!).