We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perplexed!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Perplexed!

Hi all,

While doing a bit of homework for my trip to Turkey this August, I thought about etiquette and proper attire. As I understand that Turkey is a Muslim country and therefore I expect things to be more conservative.

As I was browsing some photos of Marmaris and saw many women wearing just bras in the market? Am I missing something?

I am a bit worry because I like to be in shorts and T-shirt whenever possible due to the hot weather. At the same time, I don't want to offend native's sensibility. What say you? Thanks.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perplexed!

You can be forgiven for your perplexity LOL.One see's all manner of dress here in Turkey.Along thesouth coast especially in the built up commercial resorts such as Marmaris there is very little 'Turkishness'left.The resorts have been taken over by European visitors and their style and code.Thus you see women wearing(not bra's) bikini tops around the markets,sunbathing topless on the beaches.etc etc.The locals bless them just accept it as part and parcel of tourism.That is not to say they are particularly happy about so much nakedness however but they are accepting.Even some Turkish girls now sunbathe topless,unthought of only a few years ago.Times are changing I guess!

Istanbul is a different matter.This is a major city and one would no more walk around in that manner in Istanbul than one would in Paris,New York or Tokyo.It isn't a beach resort.However,provided they aren't short shorts exposing your bottie then shorts and a T shirt are perfectly acceptable though so feel free to be comfortable.Only if you visit a mosque or other Holy place should you put on a pair of slacks,maybe light weight chino's or similar.Dress code for men in mosques is less rigid than for women but it is a matter of respect that you are decently attired.

If you visit any coastal resorts then shorts will be de rigeur -and yo ucan leave off the T shirt if you're really hot with no problems.If you go shopping in supermarkets or other shops will will however be asked to wear a T shirt.I can't believe how many ignorant men think they can wander round a supermarket topless!

Turkey is a muslim country but it is also a secular one too and the parts that you'll visit are very westernised so you have nothing to worry about wearing shorts :-)

Edited: 27 July 2010, 08:24
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perplexed!

Hi SDWanderlust,

Turkey is a secular country whose population is mostly Muslim. There are all sorts of dresses being worn in Turkey. So feel free to wear shorts and t-shirts, in Istanbul or elsewhere, just like the majority of visitors do!

enigma...

Istanbul
Level Contributor
336 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perplexed!

Hi,

I am living in Istanbul, and I'm wearing shorts and tshirts throughout the summer. You'll see too many Turkish people who do the same exactly... Some people don't wear shorts even it's baking hot, but they don't have any problem whit those who wear shorts. Eveybody wears what he/she wants here...

Finally, as everybody says, this is a secular country...

Enjoy your trip and bring ur all shorts here. It's 35 C... Baking hot...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perplexed!

Just to mention that Marmaris started a campaign to refuse people just wearing bathing costumes from markets and shops.

If it works in reality I do not know!

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Perplexed!

VR that campaign to get people to wear t-shirts in markets was a preventive health care measure.

the municipality did not want the visitors to catch a cold in air conditioned spaces.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 10:16
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perplexed!

OMG, is that the reason????

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perplexed!

For me it would be a matter of hygiene:-))!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perplexed!

And respect!

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Perplexed!

Catching a cold is both unhygienic and disrespectful.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perplexed!

In places of business near beach resorts in the US we often see a sign that says, "No shoes, No shirt, No shorts, No Business". I assume that this is to protect customers from having to eat a meal next to a large person with copious amounts of bare flesh exposed.....as Patara says, more of a health issue.

Somehow a smaller person with exposed skin does not seem quite so unappetizing. At any rate, I would never be comfortable wearing swim wear anywhere except in the water, or near the water.

I think that this question is really more about what each person feels comfortable wearing. Yesterday we attended a summer theatre production. We grabbed our son-in-law just as we were leaving, and he had no time to change from his shorts to his long pants. In spite of the fact that 80% of the men in the audience were wearing shorts, son-in-law was miserably uncomfortable all evening. Reared in Kuwait, he said many times that wearing shorts to a public performance was not something he would ever do.

He has not lived in Kuwait in 25 years, but the value is still part of his personal conduct. I am the same way about city attire. Regardless of how warm it is, I cannot imagine wearing shorts in Istanbul, NYC, London, Paris or any major city in the world.

In Turkey, however, you can wear whatever you wish. Be sure to cover arms, and legs to the knee in mosques as well as head if you are female. If you are comfortable wearing a bikini top in Istanbul no one is going to stop you, but you might get more attention than you wish to have.