We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul for 6 days

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul for 6 days

Hi All,

I know there is plenty of info on these form but the reason to make this thread is to get some specific advice. We are travelling to Istanbul for the first time for 6 nights in Oct 2010. The reason for trip is to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. All flights and hotel are booked and now making plans as to what we need to see and do during the stay and that’s where we need your help.

We reach Istanbul on Sunday afternoon and should be in the hotel by 3 pm, our hotel I believe is on the European side but not far from old city. We need some advice for what options we have for Sunday afternoon and Evening. I really need some advice for good restaurants and places to go in the evening. We both don’t drink alcohol but would like to go out in the evenings for entertainment/food.

Also, we are in Istanbul from Sunday to the following Saturday so help in needed in planning the itenary so seeing the maximum of the city. I know grand bazaar and spice bazaar are closed on Sunday and some other attractions are closed on certain days of the week.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, need some advise on what to do on the day of our anniversary?

Thanks in advance

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul for 6 days

Hi S_S778, It is a little difficult to provide specific suggestions for you without knowing what types of things you want to do. Are you interested in visiting historical sites? Do you want to shop in the bazaars or the fabulous new shopping malls? Do you like to plan your activities around gourmet food experiences? Do you want to spend a day on the Bosphorus? What type of experience do you expect for your anniversary day?

Most importantly, is this going to be a leisurely vacation, where you get up late, enjoy a third cup of coffee while enjoying conversation and then going out for the day, or do you rise with the sun and hit the streets before the shops are open? How much energy do you wish to spend? Do you enjoy walking a little or walking a lot?

My suggestion is to purchase an easy to read tour book. I like DK Eyewitness. Browse through the book and look at the things that seem most appealing to you. When you have decided what things you want to see, rough out an itinerary and return to the forum for suggestions about practical logistics.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul for 6 days

I suggest that you buy the Lonely Planet's "Istanbul CIity Guide." There are detailed maps for each area of interest (Grand Bazaar, Beyoglu etc). On the map are marks of interests such as shopping, sightseeing etc. Look for the sights and activities notations and see which of those interest you. Mark the ones you like to do/see and do them all when you are in the area. You don't have to go back and forth and that will save you time. For example, you can visit Suleymamniye Mosque then do some shopping at the Grand Bazaar. I was at Suleymaniye Mosque today but it was closed for renovation, just an example and so you know.

Today is my 8th day in Istanbul (a third week in Turkey) and having a hard time finding food other than Turkish. Yes, I know some of you will say that I am wrong. There are options I am sure. Once you are in Istanbul you can buy a TimeOut Istanbul magazine to help you with dining options. I also saw www.timeoutistanbul.com but haven't used it myself. In general, TimeOut does a good job with dining listing. Good luck and happy anniversary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul for 6 days

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Busy-retired, your input is really appreciated. Sorry for being a bit vague but here are some more details about what we like. We would do all the historic sites, mosques, bazaars etc but I guess that will only take a day or two.

We would definitely do the Bosporus Tour(full day). Doing some research on the cruise I have found that Dolmabahce Palace is closed on Monday so probably would do that on Tuesday/Wednesday. I can see there are many tour operator, any suggestion on which would be good for Full day.

In terms of the holiday it will be a mixture of leisurely and lazy. We want to see all main attractions at a leisurely pace. We are both under 30 so walking is not an issue for us especially if the scenery is good

I am still struggling to find places to visit at night time, I read about the Al-Jamal restaurant which has belly dancing show but reviews are mixed so not sure. Any recommendation for night visit would be good, a place with good food and atmosphere.

On the anniversary it be good if we can go to romantic restaurant or a place with a nice view where we can spend the evening.

I hope this is bit more information for the destination expert to provide some more input. As always help would be much appreciated.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
93 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul for 6 days

Greetings!

For your wedding anniversary, you might like to consider booking a table at Mikla restaurant, and be sure and request a table with a view over the Old City. Here is the link to the restaurant, which is located on the top floor of a rather nice hotel:

themarmarahotels.com/The-Marmara-Pera/eatdri…

Enjoy!

5. Re: Istanbul for 6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 04:16