We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

Curious to know people's thoughts on this. I've read that the full day cruise allows you to see a lot more of the beautiful river sights but that the stop is long and boring and not worth it.

We'll likely be jet lagged on this day so low impact has some merit.

Making a full day cruise is tight but doable. But is it worth it?

If we did 1/2 day, what would be good to see on the same day?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

Hi unvrslmte,

Bosphorus is not a river but a full fledged strait that joins the Black Sea and Sea of Marmara.

Unless you are pressed for time in Istanbul (like stays of 3 days or less), I recommend the full Bosphorus cruise. It is definitely nothing like boring and on the contrary a very exciting cruise with lots of photo opportunities. To see the fishermen's village of Anadolu Kavagi and the Yoros Castle with its outstanding views of the Black Sea and the end Bosphorus is exciting all by itself in addition to the great photo opportunities. Furthermore a nice walk around the village and a fish lunch there is also a great experience.

Here are the summer schedules for ferries till September 19th. "www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm…". The winter schedules will be published in a few days.

good luck,

enigma...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

full day,see all the sights on both shores,have lunch after going up to the fortress at the top of the hill and enjoy your day.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

One way tıckets leave in Sariyer takes 1h 20 mins. Bus 25E back to the centre of İstanbul (easy to fınd), The advantage of this is that you see the lovely places along Bosphorus like Arnavütköy and Bebek. You can take a stop in Emirgan and see the lovely Sabanci museum. The view from the restaurant there is overwhelming, food is world class but expensive. There is an excellent restaurant by the entrance, rather big and lively but service is fast and effective. The food is really good there as you willl see from the many locals eating. You can also take the bus to the Rumeli fortress or Ortaköy.

I have done this many times wıth friends but the whole trip just once. Never again. 3 boring hours and eating at over priced restaurants, two of us had to pay over 100TL for a simple lunch.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,122 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

I loved the full day cruise, and I would never describe the village at the end as boring. We opted to take a taxi to the top of the mountain because I have mobility problems. We arrived at the castle ruins 45 minutes before any of the other people on the boat who walked up the mountain.

We were all alone in this spectacular place. We walked all around the ruins, and took many lovely photos of the Black Sea. We even had time to sit for a brief moment and contemplate the history that had passed by this unique vista. My husband, who spent a bit of time at a military base on the Black Sea kept me further entertained with stories about specific events.

When we were ready to leave we took a taxi back to the village. The entire taxi experience was 10TL and worth every lira. It purchased so much isolation for us, and let me save my steps for places where there are no taxis.

We had an outstanding meal at Ba Ba's. Our table was right over the water, and one could not have found a better view. We each had a delicious seafood entree, and we paid less than 20TL each for our meals. It was winter so the fish was especially fresh and delicious. It was truly one of the three best seafood meals we have had in Turkey. We would go back just to eat at this restaurant. It was also the least expensive seafood meal we have had in Istanbul.

By the time we had visited the ruins and enjoyed a leisurely lunch we had enough time to walk around the village for 30 minutes before returning to the ferry. Had we have elected to walk up the mountain and down again, we would have been pressed for time.

We found our experience to be anything but boring and expensive. It is really one of my favorite memories of Istanbul, and it is something we plan to repeat in a month or so if we can catch a day when the sun is shining.

I do not wish to suggest that a visit to the fantastic Sabanci Museum or a meal there would be a mistake. Certainly it is also exciting to visit the Rumeli fortress, and Ortakoy has unique charms as a little village on the Bosphorus.

It took us the better part of a day to visit each of these places, so I would not attempt to cram them into the day I elected to spend on the Bosphorus.

When I travel, I prefer to see as much of one attraction as possible before moving on to the next. I am not the type of traveler who races from one location to another in an attempt to see "everything". I like to enjoy every minute of my experiences, and I cannot afford to deplete my energy by doing more on any given day than my own comfort level allows.

Either way you will have an enjoyable experience. It pretty much should be determined by the type of day you wish to have. I just had such a pleasant and relaxing day on the Bosphorus and it kind of gave me a bit of energy charge for the attractions we visited on the next few days. If you anticipate that you might be fatigued from traveling, I would certainly elect to recover on the beautiful Bosphorus.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

I've done the Bosphorus Cruise three or four times and have never been bored. I enjoy Anadolu Kavagi (the stop at the end) - good walk up to the castle, great views, and a nice fish lunch. I do admit to sometimes sleeping on the way back though :)

I usually get off in Besiktas and go to Ortakoy on the way back.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

İf the choice is between seeing some ruins and a look at the Black Sea or seeing the Sabanci Museum and the fantastic places along the Bosphorus. the choice is ridiculous simple, as it is described in som more advanced guide books. You could stop at Bebek and have the most fantastic lunch of your life at the Nautilus restaurant as well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

BaBa, I think your advice is wonderful. Although I could do the walk, the taxi and avoiding the crowds sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

oops, "Busy" not "BaBas". Now I won't forget the name of the restaurant! Sorry!

9. Re: Bosphorus Cruise - Full or Half Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 06:23