We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

A friend and I are going to Turkey Oct. 13 for 2 weeks and I'd like to know which of the following optional tours you would recommend. In Istanbul they offer an afternoon Bosphorus cruise ($55); in Ankara the Anatolian Civilizations Museum Tour ($32); in Capadocia the Whirling Dervishes Performance and Dinner ($45); in Antalya a morning tour to Perge, Aspendos and Antalya Archeological Museum ($50); in Izmir a Turkish Kebab dinner ($45). These will add quite a bit to the cost of the trip and often I am disappointed in the ones I choose.

Any other information you can offer about any of these places wil be greatly appreciated.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,840 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

Hi Joelle,

I always recommend to our visitors to DIY. With the help of a good guidebook, this forum and TA website, any visitor can use the DIY approach. However in your case, since it involves quite a bit of transportation, I would recommend the tour in Antalya, as morning tour to Perge, Aspendos and Antalya Archeological Museum. Apart from that all other activities can be organized by yourself for a lot less. Use the money you save for gifts for yourself and loved ones.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

Tour company excursions are always notoriously expensive and here is proof once again.Joelle save your money!

The Bosphorus cruise can be found for around 10-15 USD easily just by going to the IDO jetty.A good kebab dinner can be found in many restaurants in any town for 10-15 USD.The Museum of Civilisations in Ankara is clearly signed,easy to reach and all exhibits are well labelled with information.Entrance is around 10 USD.The Dervish performance you will see on sale in most tour agencies in Goreme,Urgup etc for far less.You will be able to book for the same night.

The Antalya Museum is easily explored alone,it isn't as big as Ankara's museum.For Perge and Aspendos find a local tour company either on the net or via TA ,they will be much cheaper than 50 USD.The sites themselves are easy enough to explore but they are difficult to reach using public transport.That is to say there is plenty of buses etc going to them but you are dropped off on the main road and then face a very long walk up to each site.Only for this reason do I suggest using a tour agency-for convenience.

Spend a little time now investigating each of these so you know better what to expect from each and then read up on the forum pages for each place to get some idea's of local companies who can help you.You will be able to contact them by e mail to discuss your requirements,price etc.

We have many people come onto the forum who will be arriving on cruise ships and the prices many of them are quoted for optional land tours is dreadful.After all the money you have already paid for the main tour I think it is very insulting to then get ripped off with prices like this!

Repost for each seperate event on the relevant forum and I'm sure the members and DE's for each will be very helpful to you.Good luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

Do it yourself tours are much better,as you choose what to see and when and how long you stay at each sight. Istanbul is very easy to do on your own,as most of the sights are in and around sultanahmet square. the bosphorus cruise is so easy and much cheaper than a guided tour. read the trip reviews here and get a really good tour book and go for it.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

Thanks to everyone for once again coming through with excellent information. I will show all the responses to my travel partner and have ammunition for what I have always believed--you can usually do it yourself for less. Gratefully, Joelle

5. Re: Which of SmarTours 5 optional tours shall I choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 06:16