We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

I am very excited about my upcoming trip to Istanbul. This might be a bit of a stretch to ask, but... what locations/stores would be best to purchase antiquarian books and/or prints, or modern art from Turkish artists. I know about the Book section around the Grand Bazaar. Perhaps there are some relatively unknown places with great bargains of old books. I also understand that the Turkish Modern Art "scene" is very vibrant. Probably there are numerous artists who are very talented and still affordable. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

there are several book stores on Istiklal caddesi. they may have what you are looking for.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,163 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

Hi papajk,

Besides Beyazit, there are used book sellers called "sahaflar" at Galatasaray, Istiklal street and Mesrutiyet street. Have a look at my post at the following link: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3017…". Occasionally real antique books are offered at auctions but they are expensive and you have to follow the auctions.

There are many art galleries in Istanbul that house modern art by well known Turkish artists. Istanbul Modern is a great museum that displays contemporary modern art by Turkish artists also. Istanbul Modern is located at Tophane and all you need is to take the tram from Sultanahmet to Tophane. For art galleries and auctions, have a look at the following links: "…mydestinationinfo.com/en/art-galleries-shop…", and "http://www.antikas.com/eng/default.aspx".

good luck,

enigma....

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

When are you going - as this is one of my questions as well. Are you thinking along the lines of what the Chelsea Gallery area has in NYC (which is really everything from very established contemporary artists to new comers?) We bought work from some young artists in Bangkok at of all places, the Night Bazaar and the main weekend market, also in Chiang Mai -- I'm wondering if the Grand Bazaar doesn't function that way for some of the younger artists?

I'm still trying to figure out the various neighborhoods in Istanbul.

If you're going in the next two months -- would love to hear what you find.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

Most art galleries are around Cihangir and Nisantasi/Tesvikiye districts.

Check about the exhibitions on the web.

The many framing shops in the districts mentioned above are also a good source of information about artists and may be able to direct you to their studios.

If you are up to spending over $5,000, i recommend Comet's pictures.

Another good artist, a water colourist who is cheaper and has excellent nudes is Burhan Ozer.

If you like naive pastels, Tuncay Betul, who died some years ago still has some reasonably priced pictures around.

One we like but is very commercialized and expensive is, Mevlut Akyildiz.

We have picked up two paintings we like very much quite some time ago but we only have their first names, Nihat and Ekrem.

Interestingly, we also buy paintings when we travel and have done so in bangkok, Portofino, Madrid, Paris, London, Ashkabat, Samerkand, Kyoto, mostly from the street or the art fairs.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

Sorry, it is spelled with a K, so the name is, Komet.

Also buy a Time Out Istanbul magazine for listing of exhibitions.

Also check universities such as Mimar Sinan which is the top art school and just 500 meters up the Bosphorus from istanbul Modern.

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

thank you very much for the knowledgeable and prompt responses. once I return, I hope to be able to give back some of my experiences and comments.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

Hi papa,

For old&used books, visit Aslıhan Pasaj (passage) in Beyoğlu. It's near Galatasaray school on Meşrutiiyet str. (for exact location, use map on my blog and find Viktor Levi, few buildings before on the same side).

Although you've not mentioned exact days, Contemporary Istanbul 2010 exhibit between 25-28 nov. is the best way to buy pieces. http://www.contemporaryistanbul.com/

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

I will be in Istanbul from December 1 for a week. Perhaps there might be some residual availablity of modern art after the Contemporary Istanbul Art Fair. thank you

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

I looked at the work of Burhan Ozer...Really Nice.

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul-Purchasing Books and Modern Turkish Art

Thank you for asking the questions for the detailed responses from otherchelebi and Alper -- we will be in Istanbul in January -- papajk, perhaps you'll post some reviews when you get back?

Always so happy to find kindred travellng spirits. So sad to be missing the November art :(