We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kartepe or Uludag

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kartepe or Uludag

Hi all,

I m from Singapore and traveling to Istanbul from 17 to 25 Dec 2010. Will be going with the missus and 3 young children (5, 6 and 10 years old). We don't ski but wanted to let the children see and play in snow since it is the x'mas period thus i was wondering if Kartepe or Uludag is better. I have the following questions:

1. Will we get snow in Kartepe during 20 to 25 Dec? Or will it at least be covered with snow? The minimum is that the children can enjoy a white x'mas. If there is no chance of the greenpark resort area being covered with snow then i would rather drop this option. However, as it is nearer, cheaper and less crowded thus for practical reasons this is my preferred option.

2. If Uludag is a better option snow wise, what is the best and cheapest way to get there. Do remember i am traveling with young children and are on our own. I also do not wish to drive myself as i am not a good driver.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Hi puzhitao,

Nobody can predict the snow conditions so far in advance. You should decide on where you want to go after you arrive in Istanbul and 2 days before you go for skiing. You can call the resorts and ask about snow conditions and check the internet.

To go to Uludag, the best way is to take the Yenikapi - Bursa fast ferry and the Uludag cable car afterwards. Or you can take a taxi to Uludag from Bursa.

good luck,

enigma...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Cheers Enigma.

Agreed totally no one can predict the weather that far ahead and appreciate your advice.

As i said i really don't care about ski condition just need some snow. So i guess my question is "between mid to late Dec every year is Kartepe usually (more than 50% chance) covered in snow?"

If i take the Yenikapi - Bursa fast ferry, at the Bursa ferry point can we find any bus or transport that go straight up to Uludag? If i book a hotel in Uludag how can i get from the terminating point of a bus to the hotel? also from the Bursa ferry point how do i get to the cable car. and once i reach the cable car end point in Uludag how to get to my hotel?

sorry for having so many questions as i am trabeling with young children i need to get it right.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

With regard to hotels in Uludag, this old thread may help.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1541…

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Hi puzhitao,

With regard to reaching Uludag, here are useful links: "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…uludag.html", and "turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Ship/ist_bursa…".

good luck,

enigma...

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

With regard to the possibility of snow on Kartepe, I did a bit of searching but couldn't find much of any help except a few places which suggested that the ski season starts mid December which i think should imply the chances of finding snow for the children ought to be quite good.

The best I could find was this site which offers you the chance to recieve snow alerts via email, which might be some help :o)

snow-forecast.com/resorts/Kartepe/6day/top

Hope you get the children some snow :o)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the help. Posting here is actually my last resort. I have been reading turkeytravelplanning religiously and been watching snow forcast site like a hawk. I even read forums in turkish (using goggle translate) but so far really very little info on snow in Kartepe. The thing is, most are ski related forums and sites. For them, they need good quality snow which allow skiing but my requirements are a lot lesser. So i am not sure when these sites and forum say Kartepe is not ready does it means

1. There is snow but not good enough for skiing OR

2. No snow at all

However, I am impressed with the quick response from the destination experts and have benefited a lot from this forum.

btw, if anyone been to any nice hotel in Uludag please give me a shout. I am now leaning towrds Uludag since it should in theory have higher chance

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Last year there was soooo much snow in istanbul in Januari (flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/4312724609/), in case that happens a bit earlier then you do not even need to go to one of the mountains mentioned!

Suppose there is snow on both, decide your trip on which of the two is easiest to travel to I would say, they are both nice!

Good luck!

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Hi puzhitao

That was exactly the problem I had :o)

My guess would be that the ski sites are indicating when the snow is good enough for ski-ing rather than there's no snow at all.

I tried to get some info off of wunderground but couldn't find any where close enough with historical data.

I think VRs suggestion on waiting until you're here may well be the way to go :o)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Hi VillaRhapsody,

Wow that looks fun. Ok i don;t need THAT MUCH fun :)

Hi Suehami,

Guess i feel better now that there is someone else facing the same dilemma. Yes, making decision when i am in Istanbul makes the most sense at the moment . However, being a worrier i am, i fear other matters like, not being able to get hotel, transport in short notice or having to pay thru my nose.

Guess there are no right way to do this. I just have to make a call and live with it.

hmm ... Uludag or Kartepe?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kartepe or Uludag

Looks like Uludag for me. Before i commit, anyone had used Uludaghotels.com services to book for hotel? are they reliable?

Also i am going for kervansaray uludag hotel but cannot find any reviews ... anyone been there before? I am pretty simple, clean room decent food is good enough for me.

Edited: 29 November 2010, 17:52