We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upholstery fabrics

Nottingham, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Upholstery fabrics

My partner is into construction and selling of upholstery. He was informed that Turkey, especially Istanbul and Bursa are major destinations to purchase such fabrics. We are now in Istanbul for a week and we are finding it difficult finding places to make these purchases. Does anyone know of anywhere in or around Istanbul where we can get fabrics for upholstery please? We have a few places but we would like a longer list. Thanks a lot

45 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upholstery fabrics

There is a huge mall only for upholstery material in Istanbul. IMC is in Aksaray not too far from Sultanahmet, towards Suleymaniye, on the main thoroughfare. It is on many levels, semi open air. Google it for location. There are hundreds of fabric shops

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,855 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upholstery fabrics

badeniran, some of the following shops would be selling upholstery fabric. "www.yellowpages.com.tr/search_results.php…".

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upholstery fabrics

I have been to I.M.C many many times and this is where most Istanbul people go for upholstery fabrics. There are very good quality shops as well as very cheap shops. The complex consists of 5-6 blocks but the block 1 and 2 are good only for upholstery. This is the best place for price as well. Most shops ship to your country too. The area is called Unkapani, on the way to Aksaray, the complex is a few hundred meters long, difficult to miss, looks like a multistorey car park! Trust me, I run an interior design business :-) No need to trawl yellow pages..

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upholstery fabrics

Are these wholesale shops Kozano or can you buy small quantities?

We are going to be re-covering some chairs shortly, and it sounds like the perfect place to shop for what we need. I always love your excellent shopping advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upholstery fabrics

It is a retail mall, so any quantity is OK.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upholstery fabrics

Thanks for that Kozano.

Lagos, Nigeria
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Upholstery fabrics

Thank you so much. We went there today. There is a wide variety we were presented with. But the price is slightly above our budget. we are hoping to get to the source of the fabircs so we can get it cheaper. Any advice, pls?

badenirann

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upholstery fabrics

This mall is the cheapest for retail, some shops in the upper floors have ridiculously cheap fabrics (I used meters and meters of voils and cottons to decorate a wedding) So it's worth shopping around. I don't know the wholesalers in Istanbul but you can always negotiate wholesale prices with the shops in IMC. I buy wholesale textiles from Denizli which are manufactured for my company in Turkey but these are not upholstery, more towels and handmade woven cottons. These days Denizli has more varied and good quality textiles than Bursa such as special weaves, handmade production, organic cotton, etc.

Nottingham, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upholstery fabrics

We managed to find a factory in Ataturk for prices around what we are looking for and also would be visiting Bursa tomorrow. Will also look into Denizli. Thanks a lot for your input. Its been very helpful. One thing I was unsure of was how much negotiation can be done at the stores at IMC. I was trying not to offend the sellers with my offers but maybe i need to be a bit bolder with the offers :-).

Cheers!!!

badenirann

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upholstery fabrics

You can negotiate if you are buying in bulk, otherwise for something like 5 meters they will not be willing to negotiate. You can always ask :-)

Reply to: Upholstery fabrics
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted