We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Synagogues open on Sunday?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Synagogues open on Sunday?

Hi,

I am looking for a half day private/group tour of the Jewish quarter in Istanbul....ideally would love to see interior of a synagogue or 2. Traveling with our teenage girls and we are all interested in jewish history/culture. Any ideas?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Synagogues open on Sunday?

There are special arrangements that you need to make in advance to visit a synagogue in Istanbul. I believe most synagogues are not open on Saturday or Sunday for general tourists. This sight has some more specific information on synagogues in Istanbul. nursel.com/index.php/info-center/synagogues-…

Istanbul has a long and interesting history in terms of the Jewish faith. You might also find this site interesting. http://www.allaboutturkey.com/jews.htm

If you wish to arrange for a private tour, I would suggest that you contact the author of the previous URL. Burak operates an outstanding tour service and he can help you make all the arrangements necessary to complete your visit.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
959 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Synagogues open on Sunday?

I don't know about specific agencies offering tours, but I'd suggest you at least skim this document (turkeytravelplanner.com/resources/pdf/Jewish…) by Tom Brosnahan (Mr. Turky Travel Planner) so you can inform your guide of which sites you'd most like to see. Not all of your site visits will need to be part of a dedicated tour. We combined a visit to the Kariye Müzesi (Chora Church) with other area sites including a stroll past the Ahrida Synagogue before hopping a ferry to the Eyüp mosque. (Since we hadn't contacted the Chief Rabbinate before hand, we couldn't go inside.) Brosnahan's site gives you directions for walking from the church to the synagogue. My husband and I did feel a bit uncertain of our direction occasionally in the winding streets, but the area is quite safe and fascinating for wandering. The day, which included glimpses of Istanbul's Muslim, Christian, and Jewish heritage buildings, was a perfect reflection of the city's complexity.

Edited: 11 May 2011, 18:09
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Synagogues open on Sunday?

Tzahala,

You can not visit the synagogues in Istanbul during the weekends or during Jewish religious holidays. In order to visit a synagogue there are certain procedures: you have to contact with the Chief Rabbinate and ask for a permission providing them your planned visit date and which synagogues you want to visit, passport copies, address & contact details, hotel name in Istanbul, etc. Then they give you an appointment for the synagogue/s you want.

Note that some of the synagogues are hard to find, such as Beth Israel in Şişli or Ahrida at Balat, you need a good map/directions or a guide with you. Meanwhile Neve Shalom is easy to find (at Galata).

Burak

4. Re: Synagogues open on Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 07:19