We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
250 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

We are joining friends on a yacht to sail to the Black Sea. Can we buy good wine in Turkey or should we take a case of wine in from Australia. Also can we take meat into Turkey or is this not allowed. Australian customs are very strict on this sort of thing but I don't know about Turkey. Thank you. Also what is the quantity of alcohol you are allowed to take into Turkey.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/…customs.html

The Republic of Turkey Prime Ministery Undersecretariat of Customs website has details on what you can bring into and take out of Turkey. It's the usual suspects: 200 cigarettes, two bottles of wine, etc.

gumruk.gov.tr/ENG/homepage/Pages/default.aspx

http://turkey.visahq.com/customs/

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

Consumers’ Goods

1- Either domestic or foreign;

a) 200 cigarettes (1 box) and 50 cigars.

In addition,

200 gr cut tobacco and 200 cigar papers or 200 gr pipe tobacco or 200 gr tobacco or 200 gr tumbaki or 50 gr snuff,

b) If the goods are bought from the Ex-Customs Line Sales Stores traveler can bring 200 cigarettes (1 box), 100 cigars and 500 gr pipe tobacco,

2- 1.5 kg of coffee, 1.5 kg of nescafe, 500 gr of tea, 1 kg of chocolate, 1 kg of food produced from sugar,

3- a bottle of 100 cl or 2 bottles of 75 or 70 cl of alcoholic drinks

4- 5 bottles of eau de cologne, lavender, perfume, essence and lotion kept in bottles of maximum 120 ml,

Re. food, Turkey has similar rules to most countries ie. no meat, eggs, dairy products etc.. In practice if they are small amounts in your hold luggage, they do not tend to get too excited. But you still run the risk if they find them the products will be confiscated

also consider the amount of time that meat would be in your luggage..?? you can buy meat and meat products here in turkey..of course it will be more expensive that back home..but at least it will be fresh..

Edited: 12 May 2011, 08:47
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

If customs inspects your luggage they will confiscate all but two bottles of wine. I assume you are not planning on bringing fresh meat from Australia? I have brought canned meat, and meat in foil pouches into Turkey on several occasions, and I have received a shipment containing foil pouches of meat. The shipment went through a thorough inspection in customs and they permitted me to keep the meat. I have also taken cheese into Turkey.

Strictly speaking, however, I would not plan on being allowed to retain any meat, dairy or egg products. As Canmom states, almost everything you will want to eat can be purchased fresh in Turkey. Pork is a bit difficult to find, but everything else is easily available.

Wine in Turkey is excellent. I compare good Turkish wine with my favorite wines in the US, and often the Turkish wine is superior. It is a bit more expensive than what I pay in the US. I do not, however, order wine with my meal on a regular basis. We purchase wine at Migros or some other supermarket where it is not exceptionally expensive.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

Gotta say, you no more want to bring wine/food into Turkey than you'd want to bring pasta & wine into Italy. Don't do it. There's no need. You'll love the food. The beer is excellent (Efes). And the wine is good depending on where you are. Tourist spots sometimes offer only so-so wine. Be selective when it comes to wine in Turkey. Leave food and wine at home. Whenever possible, eat in neighborhoods and businesses locals patronize. Have a great trip. Bet you'll love Turkey.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

I was discussing this thread last night with my husband who observed that taking food and wine to Turkey was like taking coals to Newcastle. We spend much more time trying to figure out how to get food and wine out of Turkey.

In my opinion, fresh food in Turkey is generally better than what I can purchase in supermarkets in the US.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

Can anyone give me a tip on which wines to look for. We drink both white and red but due to the heat probably white wine would be prefereable. We like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot or even wines from Chile so does anyone have a name to look for in supermarkets. Thanks for any direction.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

Try to avoid imported wines while in Turkey as the duty on them will more than double their price. For local white wines in your taste range, consider Saraffin Sauvignon Blanc and Saraffin Fume Blanc. Cankaya is very well liked as is Angora without having to break the bank. If you wish a full list, please send me a p.m.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
255 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

We are lucky in Australia to have great wines & also from NZ. However taking wine & meat on a holiday is not practical...when in Turkey....

I am looking forward to trying the local produce..the food sounds fantastic & we will also be supporting the local economy ...If I can do without vegemite for 3 & bit weeks..all will be well:))

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

You can bring Vegemite into Turkey - no problems there.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
255 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restrictions on taking food and wine into Turkey

I may pack a small jar..to break open in case of emergencies.:))

Edited: 23 April 2012, 12:15