We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunday in Ortakoy

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
sunday in Ortakoy

I am planning to take my family to spend the the afternoon in Ortakoy on a sunday. I know there is the famous market.

Is it ok to go by 4 or 5, or there wouldn't be much left to see in the market? i am interested in buy some paintings by local artisits and some special crafts and so on.

what are the things we shouldn't miss in ortakoy?

A late lunch in the market or a proper dinner by the waterfront?

last question, what's the best way to go from taksim to ortakoy - given rush hours on sunday? what are the options anyway?

thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

Hi NemoEddie,

Ortakoy would be wonderful in the evening. The market continues til 10.00 PM at least so there is no problem in going around 5.00-6.00 PM.

There are many ways to go to Ortakoy. The best is by municipal ferry. Here are the winter schedules: "sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/2010_2011_Kis_Tarifes…" (summer schedules will be published in a couple of days, at the same link). From Eminonu, you can take the ferries at 17.50, 18.30 and 18.50. To go to Eminonu from Taksim, simply take the funicular to Kabatas and the tram from Kabatas to Eminonu.

You can also go to Ortakoy by taking the bus No.25E from Kabatas to Ortakoy (this is Kabatas-Sariyer bus).

Finally, you can always take a taxi to Ortakoy from Kabatas. I would prefer the municipal ferry and enjoy the ferry ride along the European coast of Bosphorus.

Banyan Restaurant or Feriye Restaurant are two of the better restaurants at Ortakoy. See their reviews at the forum by using forum search.

good luck,

enigma...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

thanks enigma... u are the best :)

i had Feriye and Banan on my list already :)

Do you think if i am gonna use the ferry to go to ortakoy, i should cancel the TurYol 90mins cruise?

I only have 4 days in istanbul and there are so many things to do. I am trying to squeeze as much as possible.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

No, don't cancel the Turyol cruise. İt is only 1.5 hours and it goes much further up the Bosphorus up to the second suspension bridge and will give you a chance to see 75 % of Bosphorus. Ortakoy ferry will let you see about 20 % of Bosphorus, and only European side.

enigma...

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

I thought the easy way to get from Taksim to Ortaköy was with bus as the service is very frequent.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

Herregud, in the evening there is horrendous rush hour traffic on the coastal road to Ortakoy and the easy way becomes the difficult way. If my schedules match, I rather take the evening ferries from Eminonu to Ortakoy. Much more scenic, faster and more comfortable. Istanbul is the city of ferries and whenever you have the opportunity, board on one.

enigma...

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

I have a fixation for buses in Istanbul as I have spent a considerable time learning about routes etc. When I lived in Harbiye I took every possible route to learn about different places in Istanbul, a very cheap way :-) But I know the coastal way is horrendous in evenings, but I was not sure which route the buses used from Taksim to Ortaköy, they drive down to Besiktas I presume? But it is not far to Ortaköy then.

I once took the bus from Harbiye to Beyazit abt 5 pm. What a mistake! I gave up in Aksaray. The traffic in Istanbul is extremely slow at times.

I take the opportunity to tell what happened whan I arrived two weeks ago. The taxi driver did not drive along the Marmaris Sea but took an inland route to Sirkeci over Eyüp, which was as quick and did not cost more. He was busy with his mobile while driving, and he proudly showed me in the display in Norwegian with help of google translate:" The coastal road is blocked due to a political meeting" Great, all taxi drivers are not bad :-)

Edited: 20 June 2011, 09:35
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

have you tried the sea taxi? how frequent is it? how much it costs?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

Am I wrong or there is no ferry line between Kabatas and Ortaköy ?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

Hi NemoEddie,

Here is a previous post of enigma concerning you question :

"Sea Taxis are somewhat convenient but rather expensive mode of transportation. You can not go to Sultanahmet using them and the nearest pier would be Eminonu where still you would have to take the tram or taxi to Sultanahmet. They basically work from IDO piers. Here is the main website: "www.deniztaksi.com.tr/iskeleler.asp?d=2&mid=3". Iskeleler=Piers, Ucretler=Fares at the website. Here are the fares from Ortakoy to various piers (destinations) and you notice Eminonu would be 72 TL. "www.deniztaksi.com.tr/ucretler.asp?mid=4". Sea Taxi is really worth it if there are lot of people in your group."

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sunday in Ortakoy

i think the ferry is between Eminonu and ortakoy. From kabatas you have to take tram to Eminonu then take the ferry.

correct me if i am wrong!!