We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

euros or Turkish Lira

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
495 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
euros or Turkish Lira

Hi,

I am in Istanbul for 10 weeks do most places take Euros or is it best to use Turkish Lira?

Just I have english pounds and want to get some excahnged but wasnt sure what was the best to use.

Gill x

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

Many places (but not all) accept Euros but Turkish Lira is probably more convenient. Some tourist attractions only accept local currency. You can get Turkish Liras very easily through bank machines that are located in lots of places. Note that if you need to obtain an entry Visa at the airport, they only accept USD, Euros, and Pound Sterling, depending the country's whose passport you are holding.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
495 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

Hi Yeah Ive already got my visa!! I dont want to use cash machines if I can help it woul drather use cash then I dont have to worry re charges etc. Gill x

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

If English banks charge more for using an ATM then you lose by changing to Euro (and being overcharged when paying with euro), I would look for another bank. I have been in Istanbul 30 times and have used only TL.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

Using the local currency wherever you travel is seen as showing respect.

You can use the Lira everywhere. You may not get the best rate using the Euro.

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

in my opinion your best option would be using a turkish ATM to draw TL according to your needs: simple safe and convenient, they are everywhere and 24/7

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
495 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

cheers got sorted today found an exchange place at a shopping mall and changed the euros I was given to Lira so Im sorted for at least a month now!

malaysia
Level Contributor
158 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

Most of the tours charge in Euro while most restaurants and shops charge in Lira. Suggest you bring both.

8. Re: euros or Turkish Lira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:18