We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

theodosian walls

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
theodosian walls

Where is a good place, reachable by public transit, where one can see the theodosian wall (ancient byzantine walls)? In the map I see theres a metro station 'Ulubatli' nearby. If we get to that metro station will we have a good view of the wall?

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: theodosian walls

Hi,

I can only provide info that I know, since I haven't been there yet - the DK Eyewitness book says that these walls are 4 miles long, with different sections being reached by various modes of public transportation. I see the Metro station too on my map - it looks like it's just a very short walk from there to the walls. Having been in other walled cities, I would think that you couldn't miss the walls here in Istanbul. The guidebook says says that if you want to see their whole length you will need to take a taxi or dolmus along the main road that runs outside of them.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am can provide further info, but it looks like you definitely picked the closest Metro station to the walls.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: theodosian walls

Evan, The best place to see the Theodosian walls of Istanbul is Yedikule. Yedikule can not be reached by metro but by local suburban train. Simply get on the local train at Cankurtaran (Sultanahmet) train station or at Sirkeci main train terminal and get off at Yedikule station. The walls are 7 minutes walk from the station. return the same way. Have a look: "tripadvisor.com/…10345439".

good luck,

enigma...

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: theodosian walls

Enigma,

can the akbil used to pay for the train you described?

Thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: theodosian walls

Yes, either the Akbil or the Istanbul card.

Enigma...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: theodosian walls

Hi again,

I will be in Istanbul for 3.5 days. Is it worth getting one of the above mentioned transport cards ( Akbil or Istanbul card)??

Thank you again xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: theodosian walls

Tina akbil no longer exists but highly recommend Istanbulkart for convenience and ease of use. Depending on the number of days your staying for and on how much you're going to trawl the city load the kart up with 10-15 liras worth per day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: theodosian walls

Thanks ResmeN.

My husband and I will be there for 3.5 days so I guess it is worth buying it.

Do you know if there is a purchase cost?

xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: theodosian walls

Hey Tina, no probs. The kart itself costs 7 lira each. You get 6 lira back when you return the kart to a seller before you leave.

Istanbulkarts are sold at bufes close by to tramstops. For instance the bufe at the top end of Sultanahmet tram stop sells them.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
160 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: theodosian walls

Hi Enigma, how much is the fare from Sirkeci to Yedikule and how long train takes to go there?

Thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: theodosian walls

aimankay, the suburban train from Sirkeci to Yedikule costs 2 TL and it takes about 15 minutes to get there.

enigma...