We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

I've read that there are two port places in the Istanbul area for cruise ships, and the specific dock place is chosen based on availability. Is this correct? My cruise documents have a sheet that says to present two addresses to the taxi driver - "Salipazari Yolcu Salonu-Meclisi Mebusan Caddesi, Salipazari or Karakoy Yolcu Salonu, Karakoy." How is the taxi driver to know which one to go to?? It's the Azamara cruise line, but apparently they're not permanently assigned to one or the other of these two port places.

Is it possible to take public transportation there? (just trying to avoid taxis) It would be on a Saturday afternoon in September. We have just carry-on luggage, and would be going from Sultanahmet.

I'd appreciate hearing of others' experiences. Thanks!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,119 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

ForReality,

As you say, the port authority will assign the final docking spaces as you enter port of Istanbul. The solution is simple. If you dock at Karakoy Yolcu salonu, then use the Tophane tram stop which is 5-7 minutes walking distance away. Otherwise if you dock at Salipazari Yolcu Salonu, then you will go to the Findikli tram stop (next stop after Tophane) to board the trams. This line is called (T1). The tokens for the trams are sold at the vending machines at each station. They cost 1.75 TL/person/trip. You will be getting off the tram at Sultanahmet stop. make sure you have clear written directions for the hotel with their phone number.

Here is a good rail transport map of Istanbul: "mydestination.com/istanbul/usefulinfo/617574…". If you have only one carry on each, this is the best and cheapest solution. Otherwise simply get a taxi as soon as you get out of the cruise terminal. The taxi would cost about 15-20 TL to Sultanahmet area.

good luck,

enigma...

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

Thanks for the info, but we are leaving from Istanbul, not coming into the city. We will be in Istanbul for 6 days before our cruise leaves. So is there some way to know where to go to when we leave Sultanahmet? We are staying in an apartment, not a hotel, so I figure we are on our own more than if we were staying in a hotel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

We actually spotted our cruise ship's docking place from our hotel, but basically the ships are lined up all in one place next to each other; the ports are adjacent to each other, and from the Sultanahmet heights you will be able to tell in advance where your particular ship is located.

If you decide to take a taxi, it was a very fast drive non-rush hour and very reasonably priced. The tram is excellent but usually very, very crowded so you may prefer a taxi (only about $12 I believe) when you have luggage with you. We did not have any taxi issues in Istanbul but I always carry a map and unfold and follow our route as we go. If you do use the tram, be careful of your valuables, as in any major city when carrying luggage or not.

Enjoy your Azamara cruise; we are Oceania travellers and simply love these small shipsand port-intensive itineraries.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 16:28
Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

Thanks for the info, "Cinti attorney"! I didn't realize that the ships are basically in the same place, and which port to use is dependent on the ship's proximity to the port entrance.

Sounds like it's so much easier to just take a taxi. It's good to know that you didn't experience any problems with taxis! Maybe it helps to know beforehand that some taxi drivers don't operate honestly, and that following tips in the TA forums (i.e. be aware of the meter and route, carry small bills, and pay only what the charge is, etc., without needing change) should greatly reduce the risk of having any incident.

Yeah, we are really excited about the Azamara cruise, being somewhere all day, from 7 am to midnight. No worries about getting back to the ship on time!

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

I actually responded earlier to this question on your assos or Canakkale thread.

My recommendation to buy some baklava (diabetic or no cholesterol alternatives available) from Gulluoglu across from the Karakoy pier stands.

The sticks of mashed and shaped pistacchios and almonds are also excellent.

Check the following albums for photos of your ship and of Assos;

community.webshots.com/user/esercelebiler

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

Thanks for posting, otherchelebi! I have been putting so much effort into logistics and sights, I hadn't given too much thought to the food part of our 6 days in Istanbul. I've read, though, about the delicious sweet treats, so I am REALLY looking forward to sampling many and often! No restrictions on that! :-)

7. Re: Cruise ship port choice in Istanbul and how to get there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:18