We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

I just had the chance to privately visit the newly restored "Ottoman weapons" collection at the Topkapi palace. For those who know, it is located next to the Divan (ottoman parliament) section and was closed for some time (almost 3 years). Now the rennovation work has finished and very soon they will re-open that section to visitors.

If you've visited that section in your previous visits I strongly advice you to re-visit it because it's completely changed. Although the collection items and their number (over 300 pieces) are the same as before, the displays are great now; very modern, well lit, with background music, and greatly displayed.

They said they're ready for the opening but they're waiting for some official to come and open the section officially with the press. I think it will be scheduled soon

By the way, there are also rumors that the restoration work at the Palace Kitchens (where the porcellains are on display) will be finished by the end of this year and that great section will be re-opened to the visitors. But so far I don't have any official statement for the exact date, it's just rumours.

For your info.

Burak

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

Thanks Burak. There have been so many parts of the Palace closed over the past couple of years that it is good to hear things are finally opening again.

I will certainly look forward to the reopening of the kitchens - it is always a part of the Palace I enjoyed very much and have missed visiting over the past few years.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

Thanks so much for this posting, Burak. There now is a chance that I will be returning one year from now for a visit to Istanbul, so I know that a return visit to Topkapi will be advisable.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

I just wanted to say that the Weapons section is now officially open, it was opened by the Prime Minister yesterday. Starting from this Wednesday, Aug 31st, you can visit this great section at the palace and I'm sure you'll like its new look.

Burak

4. Re: Weapons collection at Topkapi Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 23:18