We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre and post hotel

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Pre and post hotel

We need help in finding a hotel close to the pier for our 10 day cruise. I have done some research and think the Sultanhmet is the best area to stay on the pre, due to the places to visit in that area.

On the return we need an airport hotel.

Can someone assist us with approx prices for cabs from the airport to the Sultanhmet area.

Prices from the hotel to the pier.

Prices from pier to airport.

Any suggestions on hotels, 4 star preferable, in the old city area and the airport.

What is the best curency to take, the local or EU.

Thanks very much.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre and post hotel

khristian, welcome to Istanbul. Taxi from airport to old city costs about 35 TL. I suggest some 4 star hotels at Sirkeci, like Neorion Hotel, which seems to be asked by many forum members: "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d215811…". It is walking distance to both the historic attractions (10 minutes) and to the port of Istanbul ( 5 minutes). A taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport is about 45 TL. Use TL in Turkey and get them from the ATM's all over the city. Initially you can bring some Euros.

Enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre and post hotel

And of course the Neorion Hotel belongs to the Sirkeci Group - much vaunted on this Istanbul forum.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre and post hotel

If you are looking to be in Sultanahmet, perhaps have a look at Empress Zoe or Regency Suites and Spa. I have stayed in the Empress Zoe and loved it, and the Regency gets good reviews.

Both are very well located near the historical sites.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre and post hotel

Thanks guys you have been a great help!!!! I guess you are suggesting that we can use the same hotel for pre and post. Thanks very much,

Have a great day!!!!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre and post hotel

I quite like the Neorion, its sold out for a few of the nights we need accomodation. I will give them a call. Funny we are avid travellers and we have never stayed at a bed and breakfast before. This hotel is a delight. Thanks much.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre and post hotel

The Regency has space available for our dates, is there a concern with the 'call to pray" 5 times a day at the Blue Mosque.

Can the prayers filtrate across a wide area? We were in Egypt last October and we were lucky as in our hotel area we never heard the call.

Please advise.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre and post hotel

khristian, All hotels at the central Sultanahmet area will get the "call to prayers" loud and clear, not only from the Blue Mosque but also from the surrounding mosques. Best Western Regency is included in that comment. If you want a very quiet area, pretty much away from the call to prayers to a large extent, you can choose Sirkeci neighborhood right adjacent to Sultanahmet, next to Topkapi Palace. Here is a link that discusses more hotel choices for you: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4632…".

good luck in your hotel search,

enigma...

Edited: 01 September 2011, 07:12
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre and post hotel

Yes, it is true - you will hear the morning call to prayer from every hotel in Sultanahmet (some more than others depending on location and how good their double glazing is!).

For me this evocative sound it is part of the magic and atmosphere of staying in the heart of the city's amazing history - and I would certainly miss not hearing it.

If you think it will bother you however, you can either sleep with earplugs, or else you can trade location for a 'non-prayer call start to the day' and stay somewhere further from the Blue Mosque (and other mosques that add to the morning prayer call) and the historic sites.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
758 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre and post hotel

Khristian14 - we have stayed twice at the Hotel Amira in Sultanahmet and loved it. Their windows are new and are treated and when our windows were shut, we did not hear the call to prayer (but enjoyed it so much, we often opened them to hear it).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre and post hotel

We stayed in the Sirkeci area at the very nice Sirkeci Konak, chosen in part because I am a light sleeper and I did not want to hear either the call to prayer (or any Ramadan drums because we visited during Ramadan) during the night. I find the call very evocative but I do very poorly with uninterrupted sleep, finding it difficult to fall back asleep. This hotel is 40 yards from the Gulhane tram stop, which is one stop from Sultanahmet Square, or an eight-minute walk to there.

The taxi ride to the cruise port terminal cost about $13 or $15, I believe. Many Istanbul hotels offer significant amenities for three-night stays if booked direct with their websites, and at the SK, we received complimentary transportation from the airport to the hotel, a free dinner and a substantial discount for paying the bill in cash. That got the hotel rate averaged out per night to within my travel budget.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 16:57