We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

Washington, D>C>
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

I had trouble in Slovenia getting the ATM's to work. I had to dispute charges when I returned. In Croatia the teller in the bank wouldn't take a Mastercard backed Debit card only Visa. How is it in Istanbul?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

cdrc..., Turkey's ATM system is very sophisticated and widespread. The best way to get Turkish currency is by using ATM's and tens of millions of Turkish people and visitors do it that way. There are many at the airport and all over the town. Look for Plus, Cirrus, maestro, master card logos. Simply check with your bank in advance as to the commissions that they will charge for each transaction. In Turkey use Turkish currency and you will get the best prices that way.

good luck,

enigma...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,856 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

you will also need a 4 didget PIN code number for your ATM card

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

It is also a wise idea to notify the fraud department of your bank before leaving for Turkey so they do not suspend your account for suspicious activity.

I generally try to use an ATM attached to a bank during banking hours so I have an immediate recourse if something happens. I have never had any problem with an ATM, but I have seen other tourists have their cards eaten by an ATM.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

As in most major cities, there are ATM's everywhere, including several located very conveniently on the west side of Sultanahmet Square near the tram stop.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

So I see my "sisters in Istanbul obsession" are already up and running for the day!

I learned in Aix en Provence that the ATM chewing up and regurgitating of your ATM is disaster! Very good advise that I have followed since to be close to a bank and definitely take more than one card.

6. Re: What is the best way to get cash in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 14:16