We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Wollongong
Level Contributor
204 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

We were in Turkey about 4 years ago and stayed in Sultanhamet area. We saw all the major/historical sites and did a Bosphorous cruise, before moving on to Kusadasi/Ephesus area.

This time we are taking a tour from Istanbul through central Turkey to the coast with a 3 day gulet cruise at the end.We will be doing all of the major sites in Istanbul again.

We have 2 nights at the beginning in a Taksim hotel but an additional 4 days and we are unsure whether to stay in Sirkeci area or Beyoglu. I have narrowed down hotels in each area. We like places that are busy/lively, with shopping, cafes, restaurants,close to transport and other areas, but are a bit concerned that Istaklil area may be too "lively" especially noisy at night.

Would appreciate any advice from the experts regarding both locations. Have done quite a bit of reading on the locations.

Thanks - your opinions would help us make a decision.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

It depends what your plans are for this visit. If you are going to visit the Beyolgu/Taksim area more, are going to be visiting the shopping malls (and so need proximity to the metro) and want to be near the best cafes and restaurants, I would say find somewhere quiet-ish in Beyoglu.

If you still want to be in the Old City, have proximity to the ferries etc, then Sirkeci would be perfect.

Budget may be an issue too, as you will probably get more for your money in Sirkeci.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,956 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

evertravelling, Welcome to Istanbul. Since you are already staying at Taksim, which is about the same thing as staying at Beyoglu, I recommend that you stay at the Sirkeci area. Beyoglu will definitely be noisier at night compared to Sirkeci and Sirkeci has developed significantly in the last few years and has a lot of moderately priced hotels. Besides it is both close to Beyoglu and Eminonu and the rest of the Old City. Here are the hotels at Sirkeci area: "www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch…".

good luck,

enigma...

Tehran
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Hi evertravelling,

In my idea, Istanbul is a city built upon a great history, which has become modern in many aspects. I think, Istanbul is still Istanbul if we remove the modern aspect, but it will not remain Istanbul if the cultural and historical aspect is removed. Based on this viewpoint, I prefer to understand Sultanahmet area as much as possible, and go through other parts of the city as secondory options. Thus, I would prefer Sirkeci. (If it is ok with the forum policy, I can name the name of a hotel that I enjoyed in Sirkeci and would recommend)

Since I have travelled to Istanbul just three times, my viewpoint is probably raw and maybe wrong. I would be very pleased to know others' viewpoints.

Best,

Pooya

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
75 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

If you want a really quiet hotel at the Tunnel end of Istiklal street I can recommend 5oda hotel (yes spellt correctly). Great location and quiet. See my review done Oct 2011.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
9 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Since you are going to stay in Taksim area first, i recommend you to stay in a hotel in Sirkeci area. You will be closer to the main attractions such as Topkapi Palace or Grand Bazaar. Beyoglu is the same area with Taksim and it's the modern part of Istanbul. It's a nice area for shopping, fine-dining and nightlife. Sirkeci is located on historical Peninsula and it's a very safe area. There is an easy access from Sirkeci to Beyoglu area as well.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
9 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Since you are going to stay in Taksim area first, i recommend you to stay in a hotel in Sirkeci area. You will be closer to the main attractions such as Topkapi Palace or Grand Bazaar. Beyoglu is the same area with Taksim and it's the modern part of Istanbul. It's a nice area for shopping, fine-dining and nightlife. Sirkeci is located on historical Peninsula and it's a very safe area. There is an easy access from Sirkeci to Beyoglu area as well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Recently I stayed in an apartment (airbnb.com) in the Galata Tower area - wow, what a great neighborhood, and so convenient to the whole area. If I wanted the Old City, I just walked down the hill and over the Galata Bridge. If I wanted Beyoglu or Taksim, I just walked up the hill and down the Istiklal Cad. or over to Shisane. I was very well pleased with this arrangement, and plan to stay in the same general area when I return. I don't like it too noisy or too crowded either, but this was perfect, and besides - crowds are part of Istanbul!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

I recently stayed at the Erboy hotel. I don't mind repeating what I and so many other reviewers have said.

This hotel has a fantastic restaurant, immaculate rooms and impeccable service.

It also has amenities and often special incentives pending the time of your stay.

Besides being just 5 minutes walk from a tram stop on a very cute street far from the crowds, that tram stop is only 7 minutes or so from all the sites you will want to visit. All this and a very fair price.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

I would add my vote for Sirkeci. I continue to be impressed by the growth and development of this area of Istanbul. There are several excellent restaurants, a number of superior hotels and plenty of action in the neighborhood.

It is not as lively as Taksim can be late in the evening and early morning hours, but other than that there are plenty of good choices and the neighborhoods seem safe, populated and have good lighting.

Best of all, Sirkeci is just a bit cheaper than Sultanahmet, and generally significantly cheaper than Taksim.

Wollongong
Level Contributor
204 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel in Sirkeci or Beyoglu

Firstly, apologies for delay in getting back to you all.

Many thanks to all of you for posting your comments regarding both locations and helpful advice re: transport and hotel options. I was suprised to get responses so quickly. Trip Advisor is such a great concept and I rely on it so much for research.

Our decision is SIRKECI! As we basically have 5 days in Istanbul we should be able to get around to see some new areas as well as revisit some we saw last trip.

Once again thanks to you all for your prompt,helpful advice - we are so looking forward to our trip - roll on May!!!