We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
728 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

the last time we were in Istanbul, we were captivated by the few night time, illuminated vistas or things we saw (and some daytime points as well), but missed some (like a trip up to Camlica Hill).

When we return in December, we're getting a car/driver to take our family of 7 one evening to see everything we can reasonably in a few hours with stops wherever we want for any reason.

Please suggest to us your favorite or most magical:

* spots for an incredible nighttime view of the city, the Bosphorus, the bridges

* buildings or areas illuminated away from Sultanahmet (as we'll be staying there and will see walking around)

i'm thinking drive to Dolmabahce Palace for a stop by the sea, drive over Bosphorus Bridge to stop at Beylerbeyi Palace, Camlıca Hill for a stop, maybe drive by/stop ? at Kız Kulesi. other?

We loved also the daytime view from the top of the Galata Tower but don't know if it is open in the evening.

(don't hesitate to also suggest your favorite daytime vistas/views)

Edited: 23 November 2011, 03:15
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

barusso, one of the best vantage pointts daytime or nightime is the shores of Salacak, near Uskudar. Simply take the Uskudar ferry from Eminonu. You can also take a little boat from Salacak to Maiden Tower (Tower of Leander) and take some magnificent pictures from the 360 degree terrace/balcony of the tower. At night this place has magnificent views of the Bosphorus, old city and port of Istanbul. Have a look: "http://www.kizkulesi.com.tr/en/Default2.asp".

good luck,

enigma...

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
728 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

thank you very much enigma. great suggestion.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

Hi I have had a lot of problems with that website...told me nothing..and then my security put a block on it for some reason ..is it still up & running or is it not going now..... the website was a bit strange ?? no location/menu/pricing

so I think look elsewhere lots around I am sure...

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
728 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

MaeM14 - you may be having a problem with it loading depending on your internet connection and speed. the site came up right away for me but then later i had difficulty accessing it. Not a reason though not to go to explore and see.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

Ortakoy square and the stretch between Kurucesme and Bebek have good vıews.

On the asian side, the stretch between Cengelkoy and Vanikoy, especially in front of the Kuleli military academy should not be missed rather than Beylerbeyi.

I suggest that you come through the hill on top of Beylerbeyi, Kirazli, Cakal Dag, Kupluce instead of the main road to get to the coast. If your driver knows this route, he will turn right at Kupluce towards Cengelkoy before he gets to the coast to give you some more views and avoid some traffic.

Going further on rthe Asian side to have some fried horse mackerel (istavrit)at Sunanin Yeri at Kandilli pier will give you the lit up Rumeli Fortress in all its grandeur.

You can do Salacak by ferry on another evening since driving there will mean entering dense traffic in the evening. In fact that view is easily and beautifully captured from a ferry going to Kadikoy or coming back without having to venture to the Leander's tower.

Galata Tower is open at night. But there is a touristic dinner show there and I do not know if they let just viewers up also.

Another idea is the roof of the Saphire building.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
728 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

thank you for the great suggestions otherchelebi

7. Re: BEST night time views, vantage points illuminated buildings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:23