We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just do it!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just do it!

It is 12:45 IST. I just returned from my first hamam, which I skipped on my first trip and was reluctant to do this time.

My instincts were correct. I scheduled for 10:00 AM. I was the only one at that time and it was perfect. It was a relaxing and reflective experience for mind, body and spirit. It allowed me to savor more the beauty of the past few days.

I am hoping to reach all those in Istanbul now or those who will be traveling before you have time to read a full account in a trip report when I get home, please make a hamam a part of your itinerary.

Incidentally, I have been looking for a cameo for years in many countries including my past visit here. No luck. At the top of the hill from the hamami was a tiny antique store. There I found my treasure

It is my last day, I am limp and limber from my bath, and find this the perfect time to pack, relax with lunch and see what my last night will bring!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,936 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just do it!

Hi Sharon,

I sure am glad you totally enjoyed your hammam experience. However you did not mention which hamam it was. So I am sure the readers at this thread will appreciate some details and tips for their own experiences.

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just do it!

I was trying not to be too specific at this time, but to encourage the experience and search information at a hamami that would be convenient to them.

I cannot recommend any other than Galatasary Hamami which is just meters from my hotel.But I am glad to share here a few tips and comments relative to this one.

It is historic. It is pristine and very friendly.

Today was rainy and bleak, and this offered a superb alternative to umbrellas and windbreakers, even if it was only for l-1/2 hours. Go early in the day. I was there at 10:15am. I had the place to myself. Do it on a day you feel you want a break from frenetic sightseeing.

The standard "full service" will include a loofah scrub, alternating temperature rinses, suds massage and finally a shampoo. Ladies, hairdryers are available, and even if they weren't, nothing could spoil the head, neck and shoulder massage given while shampooing.

If I were traveling with a significant other, I certainly would research the spas that

offer "co-ed" services. If the pleasure can be shared, that must be wonderful

And finally, it is now 4 pm and I am still feeling the calming effect of this morning's

service. Time for a nap!

Edited: 07 December 2011, 14:21
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just do it!

Sharon, I have been waiting for a post about your visit, and now I have one. Sounds like you have had a great time; I eagerly anticipate your detailed trip report.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just do it!

Sounds lovely!! :D

5. Re: Just do it!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:16