We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
8 posts
Save Topic
Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

Hi,

We are with our two kids in Istanbul next week for three days. Is it best to do a guided tour or do-it-yourself ?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

sponte, welcome to Istanbul. I usually recommend to DIY because most of the historical attractions are within walking distance of each other at or around Sultanahmet district. You need good guidebooks though. "DK Eyewitness Istanbul Guide" and "Rick Steves Istanbul" are my favorites for Istanbul. Both are available from Amazon.

good luck,

enigma...

good luck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

Definitely DIY if traveling with kids IMO. If they get tired or want to just enjoy a park or a boat ride, who wants to be out a whole lot of Turkish lira for a private guide? The two books mentioned above are very good; I used the Rick Steves' book for all of my Istanbul sightseeing; he provides great walking tours and actual site tours as well.

Edited: 08 December 2011, 23:06
Long Beach...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

Thank you so much. That definitely helps

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

We did it both ways - with a guide and on our own. DYI is fine. We used Rick Steves too and found it very helpful. As for the guide, we were part of a tour group and our guide knew how to get us into places easily and the best times but I wouldn't let that stop you from DYI.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

Definitely DIY. There's more than enough info and guidance on this site and many others. Spend a while taking some notes, get a mapbook or guide and go for it.

6. Re: Guided tour or DIY in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 10:18