We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

silk scarves?

London, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
silk scarves?

looking to get a silk scalf for my grandmother as a xmas present. dont want one too big as she only wears round her neck.

i'm looking at spending 40-60TL, where is a good place to look at for them near sultanahmet?

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: silk scarves?

I would suggest the Arasta Bazaar - there are several shops there that sell very nice scarves of all different kinds and different qualities.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 12:44
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: silk scarves?

The best places for a silk scarf is either Vakko or there is a lovely shop somewhere in the middle of İstiklal Street, with hundreds of small wooden drawers with all different scarfs. Unfortunately İ do not now their name.

Enjoy your shopping!

London, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: silk scarves?

thanks guys/girls

do u think my budget would be sufficent for a sik neck scarf???

and do any of the place you have suggested provide gift boxes for them?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: silk scarves?

İ was not sure for prices so İ had a look at the Vakko website, they come like 375,00 TL :-(, but there is a Vakko Outlet, have a look here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4881…

Knowing the prices now, it makes me understand the big crowds in Vakko during sale, pushing woman grabbing for the scarfs...

İ once bought a lovely scarfs with an ottoman signature for my mother, but that is a few years ago and İ can't remember at all what İ have paid for it.

That was in İstiklal Street.

Good luck!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: silk scarves?

You will certainly find scarves in your budget in Arasta Bazaar but you won't have the same guarantee of quality you will get in Vakko.

So if you want a good quality, genuine silk, Turkish made scarf, go to Vakko. If you just want a nice scarf that you like, that will be cheaper, and you don't mind where it comes from and the quality, then look in the Arasta Bazaar. I have some lovely scarves I have got there (some very expensive that I was happy are good quality, others a lot cheaper - and I still love them!).

Another place you may find nice scarves of good quality (although a much more limited selection) is the shop in the first courtyard of Topkapi Palace near the ticket booths.

London
Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: silk scarves?

I think that the Istiklal store is called Ipek. It's on the left as you walk up to Taksim Square, but I fear their prices will be too high. Beautiful scarves though.

7. Re: silk scarves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2012, 10:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: silk scarves?

For silk scarves of all sorts check out Tekbir Giyim stores found scattered thru out Istanbul.

9. Re: silk scarves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:15