We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us choose hotel please

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Help us choose hotel please

My wife and I will be visiting Istanbul first week in April. We are not precious and want / need a 5 star hotel. Looking for a small Turkish flavour hotel in Sultanahmet up to US$100 per night and include breakfast. Must be non-smoking rooms. One of those hotels with rooftop dining area would be a bonus. Don't want a chain hotel , preferably a family run establishment. Can you offer suggestions please.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us choose hotel please

Buick, here are the hotels in Istanbul having rates 100 USD or less: "www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch…". Any of the top 20 would be a good boutique hotel, family owned. I suggest Hotel Seraglio, Ada Hotel, Orient Express Hotel, Acra Hotel, Nena Hotel, Apricot Hotel and Hotel Darussaade Istanbul. Have a look at their reviews, prices, amenities, locations, quality of services, and extra offers (like cash discounts, free airport transfers, etc.) and concentrate on a couple of finalists.

good luck in your hotel search,

enigma...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us choose hotel please

Thanks enigma --- you are a legend with all your help for us tourists. A true ambassador for your country. I'm onto it , will check the hotels out tomorrow.

I'll need help also for our Turkish trip beyond Istanbul, so future threads pending. Cheers.

3. Re: Help us choose hotel please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 14:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us choose hotel please

Hi Buick,

For USD 3.35 (at current exchange rates!) more than your USD 100 per night budget - I would most definitely recommend you have a look at the Hotel Alaturka: http://www.hotelalaturka.com/

For EUR 80 (=USD 103.35) you would get a large double room, or for USD 65 you could get a standard double room, breakfast included, and in fact if you book directly with the hotel they will give you a 5% cash payment discount, and free transfer if you stay 5 nights, etc. We stayed a couple of years ago in a large double room and loved the little sitting areas in front of the windows where of an evening we could watch the toing and froing down in the street below. The hotel is centrally situated in Sultanahmet - the very heart of "old Istanbul". A great breakfast (with lovely fresh bread and pastries, local cheeses, tomatoes, cucumber and olives, homemade jams - all typical Turkish breakfast fare!) is served in the roof top restaurant which has a wonderful terrace affording 360 degree views over the sea of Marmara down in front of you and the Blue Mosque and Haghia Sofia towering over behind you. A wonderful place to have an evening drink - even if you don't want to eat at their fish restaurant - you are spoiled for choice of restaurants in the street below. The staff is professional and friendly and very willing, and the gentleman owner is invariably in the lounge of the reception. Most certainly nothing like a bland chain hotel!

I have put the rates as charged in the hotel website in Euros - but it is common practice for rates to be quoted in Euros although you can pay in whatever currency at that day's exchange rate. And it is right opposite the Empress Zoe - where I have also stayed in the past and is also lovely, but somewhat dearer than your budget I believe.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 12:32
Brisbane
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us choose hotel please

Hi from a fellow aussie we have booked a hotel in Istanbul for September

Hotel Sebnem that looks very good it has an excellent rooftop terrace which is high on our list for as hotel ...have a look at the reviews and website

cannot say from personal experience however it is another option ..

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us choose hotel please

I agree that both the Alaturka and the Empress Zoe are great choices having stayed in them both. The Apricot Hotel is another good choice I can personally recommend (but choose one of the two large rooms) - or else many people recommend the Sebnem - and friends of mine have not long stayed there and loved it. All good choices and well located.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us choose hotel please

We stay at the Apricot Hotel. As GTTD advises, Room One and Room Four are particularly spacious. The Apricot also has a separate building they call the Seaside Flats. These flats are located at the bottom of Sultanahmet, about a five to ten minute walk back to the hotel. These are exquisite rooms with spectacular views of the Sea of Marmara, and each of them have a lovely balcony looking out at the sea.

We enjoy the Turkish breakfast,, and the hotel staff is absolutely fantastic!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us choose hotel please

We have stayed at the Sebnem and enjoyed it very much.

The rooms are somewhat on the small side but the bathrooms are very new and modern. And I heard that they have renovated some rooms since our stay, so they might be more comfortable now.

The best was the roof terrace with the gorgeous view and the excellent breakfast, one of the best we ever had in Turkey.

And the staff was very kind and helpful but never pushy.

It´s in the same area as the Empress Zoe and the Alaturka.

http://www.sebnemhotel.net/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us choose hotel please

We checked out the Apricot Hotel and it looks OK for us. Room might be a bit on the small side as we don't want / need jacuzzi room or turkish bath. Sent an e-mail to Sebnem and they are booked ( just now got an e-mail back advising of cancellation ) Also came across the Peninsular Hotel and that looks good too. So decisions , decisions time.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us choose hotel please

Loved the Sebnem hotel. Excellent location, breakfast and view from the terrace.