We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better option? Ephesus or not and when?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better option? Ephesus or not and when?

First time in Turkey and need advice.

Flying into Istanbul mid May 2012, then staying overnight at nearby hotel. Following day, early flight out to Neveshir for 3 nights stay. Then flying back to Istanbul in the mid morning on May 22, 2012. I will need to leave for Germany on May 30, 2012 around 8 A.M from Istanbul airport.

Is it worth it to go to Ephesus and Selcuk? Should I stay 8 days in Istanbul or take 2 days and go to Ephesus? If I should go to Ephesus, is it best to leave on May 22nd from the airport or else go there just before my flight to Germany.

There is a flight from Izmir to Isanbul ( flight 2305 ) leaving at 4:10 A.M. How reliable is Turkish Airline? If the flight is canceled , I may miss my flight to Germany at 8 A.M.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 14:49
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
725 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better option? Ephesus or not and when?

after for visit to Cappadocia, if you have 8 days left, i would definitely take 2 days of it to go to Ephesus. That should leave you 6 days or a portion thereof to visit Istanbul. Seen on different trips, both Cappadocia and Ephesus are amazing.

we have taken now 8 flights on Turkish Airways and they have all been on time. it is a modern airlines with modern planes. However, you can never guarantee this, of course. you may want to consider taking a late plane the night before from Izmir (allowing you that whole day to see why you didn't see the day before) and then staying at one of the hotels by the airport for your 8 AM flight the next morning.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 15:53
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better option? Ephesus or not and when?

While I rarely recommend this alternative, it is possible to do Ephesus as a day trip from Istanbul. You need to take the first flight in the morning. You will arrive in plenty of time to walk through these spectacular ruins and still be able to return to Istanbul the same day with an evening flight

I think Turkish Air is a very modern and very responsible airline; however no airline is immune from equipment or flight crew issues that can result in delayed or cancelled flights. I never put myself into a situation where I have two independent flights with only a small amount of time to change planes.

I shouldn't say never. I did that once. My first flight was late and I missed my second flight. Since I had two tickets the second flight had no obligation to me. All they were willing to acknowledge was that I missed my flight. I had to pay $150 change fee and the difference between the cost of the ticket when I purchased it, which was $125 and the cost of the ticket on the day of my flight, which was $550. It was actually less expensive to just buy a new ticket. I learned my lesson. When I flyby two different tickets I always give myself a day between flights.

3. Re: Which is better option? Ephesus or not and when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:32