This project basically involves :
- All access roads to taksim to be closed to vehicular traffic and all vehicular traffic including the bus stops to be moved underground.
- leave the whole of Taksim Square as an empty paved or tiled area with only the existing statue remaining. The model does not show tram lines up to the statue either.
- Build a replica of the old barracks which was where Taksim park is now, a Russian/Indian type architecture with an enclosed courtyard where a few of the current trees of the park will remain. This structure to house cafes and shops.
- Only one access road up to the marmara hotel, but Kazanci hill next to the hotel closed to traffic.
- Gumussuyu boulevard trees to be uprooted to make space for the entramce.exit to underground traffic, with a narrow access road to buildings on each side and a single file pedestrian walkway on each side.
- Siraselviler street will be dug up to have another access/exit point for traffic with a very narrow pedestrian walkway on each side/
- Cumhuriyet Caddesi, tarlabasi Caddesi, mete Caddesi to be similarly dug up with all tree removed from the medians and sides, each with gaping holes for traffic and railings to protect the narrow pedestrian ways.
- Only other access to the square will be from the underground bus stops, taxi stops and metro stations.
- There are still no plans for the Ataturk cultural center.
The NGOs of the neighborhoods in the area and the Turkish Chamber of Architects are trying to fight but to no avail, because apparently the project was brought to fruition on orders of the Turkish Primeminister and no NGO or neighborhood was consulted.
This will reduce the importance of Taksim square and the area for celebrations, protests, rioters, tourists, lovers, boozers, people using it as a way station, stray cats and dogs, all birds except pidgeons, fast food places, street food stalls, pickpockets. police, adventurous pedestrians who enjoyed running red lights, Otherchelebi driving to his bank.
I also suspect that those of you planning to visit istanbul should be aware of the possible issues with extensive construction possibly starting some time this Summer and going on for a long time. So consider staying at Sultanahmet, Bosphorus, Nisantasi (could still mean heavier traffic) or even the Asian side.