We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping at Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping at Istanbul

I have a question for the locals and DEs.

Wouldn´t it be convenient to post a list of all (most) malls, shopping centers and bazaars, maybe with some short details about the particular special features and perhaps the best way to get there, and post it as "Top Questions" (or Sticky, but you can better edit the Top Questions), so that it can get updated from time to time.

I have to admit that it would be very useful for our German forum too:-))!

I know that we had such lists from time to time, but I´m not sure if they are up to date and beside this, they have gone lost after a while...And it might be useful to have all the suggestions at one go.

Of course I don´t know if this isn´t only my opinion...

Tschüss

patara01

Edited: 20 February 2012, 11:06
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

I agree that a quantitative list of all easily reachable malls, bazaars and shopping streets will be very useful with a general idea of the kinds of shops and wares available at each.

Unfortunately, what we have so far are totally inconsiderate value judgements inundated with personal qualifications like, "my favourite", "the best", etc. given by posters (local, DE or traveler) who all have their personal peculiarities, tastes and values which are not provided in their profiles. This is also true for restaurants as can be seen on the long thread started by GTTD and has to be read very carefully to be useful.

There are also some threads where sightseeing and shopping are totally confused with each other, recommending a walk through a street or two and mentioning one or two mosques while listing shops galore.

Maybe we should expect a sticky on "Art Galleries", one on

" Architectural Sights Other than the major historic, religious buildings, cisterns and hamams". and one on

" walks undiscovered by tour operators or guides"

from our very local, sacrificing DEs.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

I`am talking about a simple list of those shopping places, at most informative as possible but not inevitably evaluative (well, perhaps in general).

A kind of "sampler", so that it will be up to the forumites to make their choice, depending on what shopping type they are.

Your suggestions sound interesting too, Otherchelebi":-)).

But I know of course that such lists and "Top Questions" are a lot of work and need to be edited regulary.

You know that I´m often somewhat nitty-gritty and always try to simplify things:-))....

BTW, I have learnt from our German forum, that you can better edit "Top Questions" than "Stickies".

To delete old contributions from a sticky you will need the support of the admin, but you can remove outdated postings from Top Questions on your own, if you are DE.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 12:31
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

patara, this is a good suggestion. However it is not possible in the poisonous atmosphere of insults, sarcastic remarks, and totally unjustified destructive criticisms of other members posts by certain posters.

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

It doesn't seem such an impossible request nor task to me.

We already have this great list on TA posted by former top DE Kozano some time ago.

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i14102-Istanb…

Unfortunately as she is no longer permitted to post on TA, Kozano will not be able to come by to update it - but it certainly is an excellent starter.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

I have to admit that I don´t see such problems, or better, not as obstacles for this task. So why shouldn´t it be possible? You will hardly find things to which everybody agrees, but in this case it´s nothing with any intricate or controverse background (policy, social policy, religion, any development, art, not even a matter of different tastes, ...) it should be just a list with shops, shopping streets and areas and malls, a realistic and objective issue.

And I agree with Attagul, we could post a link to Kozanos valuable contributions about shopping, I assume that many forumite don´t know about this rubric. Remember all those shopping questions all the time...:-))!

Edited: 20 February 2012, 18:22
Istanbul
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

There are plenty of shopping/travel blogs with such lists but I agree that they're all very personal and they kinda create an insecurity in the readers' mind that it might not be up-to-date.. I don't find creating such a list impossible but gotta admit it needs a lot of effort to keep it fresh and alive..

But, what I recently found about is the website of an Istanbul magazine, www.theguideistanbul.com, which has such lists with detailed information (like adress, phone number, features, opening hours, etc etc) and also a brief description on the place. the shoppping list (www.theguideistanbul.com/listings.php…) gives you the opportunity to filter the stores in any category you like (check the boxes the left) and you can also see what products they sell with images.

it helped me discover and find a lot of places, hope it helps you too.

cheers.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

Francoise, Thanks for the excellent link. I have added that to the "Important blogs and websites about Istanbul" link at FAQ (Top Questions) section.

enigma...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

This link is excellent and very comprehensive and I have saved it for myself, but it´s perhaps too detailed for "average" tourists and shopping questioners.

Nearly every day here are requests concerning malls, bazars, outlet stores and sometimes wholesalers , but I suppose that most of the questioners aren´t keen on struggeling through all those listed shops and places and a lot of TA sites. Otherwise they wouldn´t ask the same questions ad nauseam. No offense meant:-))!

I was thinking about a clear list of the main shopping sites for tourists: main bazaars, malls, outlet stores, streets (Istiklal, Bagdat Street, ASO, and main shopping areas as Nisantasi, ASO.

Of course there could be some special suggestions too, eg. wedding clothes , musical instruments, ASO.

Nothing too complicated, clear for everybody.

I like to delegate work:-))!

Edited: 21 February 2012, 17:27
Istanbul
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

No sure, I think I understood what you meant, and I completely agree. Tourists have a short period of time to cover only the best in town, and need clear directions, and I think what's needed is something like a "suggestion list" that's more clear and direct to the point.

Well, I've seen they have these suggestion links for shopping in grand bazaar and egyptian bazaar (which are the main traditional shopping areas in istanbul) which seemed quite useful to me: theguideistanbul.com/articles/istanbul101/mu…

theguideistanbul.com/articles/istanbul101/mu…

and there are some neighborhood profiles of the top districts, which also cover the top stores, cafes and etc in a particular district.

theguideistanbul.com/articles/…neighbourhoods

they seem to discover and write about those kind of listings and "Top"s frequently. I just recognized that these sections are titled "Istanbul 101", probably for the same reason you just mentioned, to guide about the very very basics of Istanbul for a first-timer.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping at Istanbul

I think I will try to extract some of the well known shopping areas and malls, ASO and make a list for our German forum. It might not be necessary that the list is very comprehensive , just some suggestions would be helpful, I suppose.