We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel for airport transfer to an old city hotel, big red board as soon as I came out of the customs area, my name on a paper under the red sign that showed the hotel name I was going to. 3 people were there at 12:45AM in the morning and spoke perfect english, asked me to wait on one of the airport seats while they call the driver to pull up out front. This took about 4 or 5 minutes we stood seeing we just got off a 10 hour flight. Greeter walked us down to one of the doors leading outside at the end of the airport, then waved the driver out of the mini-van and had him greet us, he did not speak much english but could a little. Greeter made sure we knew driver and confirmed driver knew where we were going. Driver loaded our bags and unloaded the bags and tried to point out a few attractions along the way, english wasn't great put it was cute listening to him try and we appreciated it. It went so well we decided to us them on the way back to the airport and booked the night before we flew out and everything went smooth. Driver on the way back was about 10 minutes late though old city area is all road where only 1 car can fit down them though they are not one way streets so it is understandable and we were leaving at 9am rush hour, so make sure you plan a little extra time as we did and everything worked out great!

Mentioned in this post
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

.....and how did you enjoy Istanbul?Or was it a let down after such a great ride?

Yaaawwwnnnn......

Mentioned in this post
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

Not again! What is with this company?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

LOL - so funny, Sari. And completely agree, not again!

atlanta
Level Contributor
122 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

So is this nOt a good company to use for transport from the airport?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

They appear to be as good as any of the many companies doing this business.The gripe of forum members is the amount of promotion they do on the forum via solicited reviews.This very one being a good example.People join expressly to promote the company,mention not the slightest detail of their trip and are never seen again.

As I said on a previous similar thread no matter how good they may be I will never recommend them for this reason and if they were the only company(which they aren't)I would say walk from the airport!

Toronto
Level Contributor
406 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

Be that as it may, we used them for 4 transfers without a problem. And guess what? I am a real.

On the way in from SAW. we were the 1st arrivals at a bad accident & the driver pulled over & called & tried to lend assistance. Extra points for that imho.

Ian

Edited: 26 February 2012, 00:43
Toronto
Level Contributor
406 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

Be that as it may, we used them for 4 transfers without a problem. And guess what? I am real.

On the way in from SAW. we were the 1st arrivals at a bad accident & the driver pulled over & called & tried to lend assistance. Extra points for that imho.

Ian

Edited: 26 February 2012, 00:44
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

With respects imacarther,you've been a forum member since 2005 and have plenty of posting history.Most frequent users of this forum accept that the posts of someone with this type of 'form'carry more weight and credence.

Everyone has to have a first post of course but it is darned strange how these people don't find TA when planning their trip but just happen to find them in time to laud a taxi service-and they STILL write nothing about their visit to an amazing city....and guess what...they are never seen on the forum again.

Over the past few years we have had literally dozens of these type of posts for this company.It is solicited promotion which ever way you look at it.

We also have posts from people like you and often they include a recommendation as part of their overall review of their trip and the services used.No one has a problem with this,after all that is the whole point of TA.

As I said they appear to do the job,no better or worse than any other of the many companies providing this service.But the blatant solicitation just ticks us all right off!They are a successful company with no need to resort to this.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
758 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

i share the irritation for 1 post wonders and those clearly on TA only to promote a vendor or push forward a complaint with a not-so-hidden false agenda.

It's interesting, though, because in the couple of times we went to Istanbul, we used Backpackers for 2 specific services, and they never asked us to post anything on TA or even mentioned TA. I was surprised because we had an amiable relationship with the guide/driver and very positive experience (which we expressed).

This last trip, after checking prices and service with 4 companies (including through our hotel), we secured the use of a van and driver (no guide) for our family of 7 (since we don't fit into one taxi) 'to take a night time drive to and around various parts of Istanbul, including among many other points, up to both Buyuk and Cucuk Camlica Hill overlooks, getting out wherever we wanted for views, walking around a bit and grabbing bites to eat, tea and sahlep at various points along the way (while the van waited for us nearby). Backpacker's price was incredibly reasonable for the hours we spent and the driver, despite not being a guide, was an absolutely professional and delightful man who eagerly pointed out things and explained what he could in the lithe English he knew. It was a tremendous evening and experience and exceeded my expectations of service and value (significantly cheaper than the other 3 bids i had for the same time and service).

Our first time, 3 of us took a half day trip with Backpackers - on the recommendation of Tom Brosnahan' Turkey Travel Planner - to Chora Church, which included the Greek Patriarch Church, the Theodosian walls and Yedikule prison, Eyup area/pierre Loti overlook and a couple of other things. There was only 1 other traveler on the clean, timely van and the guide was excellent. Again, it exceeded our expectations.

So, I would say that, at least for our experiences, the two limited services we procured from Backpackers (one van and driver, one 1/2 day guided) far exceeded what we had experienced with some other companies (1 in Cappadocia and 1 in Ephesus - guide arrived clearly drunk/long story).

Although we don't usually use a service as such, i wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I just don't understand why these vapid 1 posters keep popping up, when we weren't asked to post on TA (and TA wasn't even mentioned).

Edited: 26 February 2012, 13:54
Mentioned in this post
Camlica Hill
Camlica Hill
449 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Eyup
Eyup
156 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Pierre Loti Hotel
Pierre Loti Hotel
525 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from Istanbul and used Backpackers travel...

This is just it isn't it?They seem to provide a decent enough service,with no more and no less complaints than any other company so why they feel this need to self promote(which it clearly is)I do not know.

If they are not actively soliciting reviews I wonder if these one off's are self generated?Very difficult to prove without a lot of investigation on the part of TA-which they won't do because they couldn't care less ;-/

It just does not reflect well on the company,or any other company who does this.

BTW,have you noticed the OP hasn't come back with any reply yet?This too is par for the course with these posts.........