We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

Rockwood TN
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

How much does it cost to take a taxi from a hotel in Sultan. area to Choro church?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

Frederica, Taxi from Sultanahmet to Chora Church should cost around 15-20 TL.

enigma...

Aurora, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

Fredrica,

While you certainly can take a taxi, I have copied this more cost conscious alternative from Rick Steves website-enjoy:

You can now reach the Chora Church by tram and light rail (which makes sense from Sultanahmet, but less so from the New District, unless you're near the tram line): Ride the tram to the Topkapi stop (nowhere near Topkapi Palace; direction: Zeytinburnu), then transfer to light rail and ride three stops to Edirnekapi (direction: Habibler). This leaves you outside the old city walls, but within walking distance of the church: Facing the walls, head left and cross the highway at the traffic light. Continue to a second traffic light behind the wall and cross Fevzipasa Street. Take the first left (Vaiz Sokak, just past the bus stop), and then the third right (Kariye Camii Sokak) to reach the church.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

This week our cab was 16TL for us from our hotel 3 blocks from the Sirkeci Tram stop.

If you want to cab back after your visit, walk up the hill to the main street (2 blocks) and cab from there to avoid being ripped off by the taxis around the church.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

These taxis ripping you off near the Chruch back to Sultanahmet is a load of lies.

To test this theory me and my partner approached a few taxi drivers after we'd visited Chora church and the tomb of the prophets companion next to it asking him to take us to Sultanahmet and what the cost was and he said 20 lira.

I don't know where people are getting ideas of scams or being ripped off from.

Use you're head and act smart people and no one can rip you off.

Always carry you're street smarts and wits with you if you have them not just in Europe but when you travel all around the world.

There might be the odd bad apple but exceptions don't break the rule.

Just cause one driver may or may not have tried that doesn't mean they're all like that...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

I don't feel the difference of 5TL would be considered a rip-off and worthy of giving a bad reputation to all taxis, HOWEVER,

Nor do I feel it is worth condescending remarks to someone who may feel differently for whatever reason. Maybe that 5 or 7 extra TL saved would buy a wonderful meal at a local lokantasi.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 05:05
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

Ditto sharonmaeK

Resme is out of line

7. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2012, 15:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

tptr how am I out of line?

So there was one bad apple but exceptions don't break the rule.

So because PKK are terrorists does that mean all Kurds are terrorists?

So Bin Laden destroyed the twin towers does that mean all Muslims are terrorists?

You'll get a long way by labelling the whole industry and calling them rip offs when it is only one or a few people that are like that while the rest are all honest hard working people trying to put food on their tables and support their families.

Cologne, Italy
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

just take a taxi for 15-20 Lr as it is told above. Makes you save time ,deffo not worth killing time at trams,it is not the solution anyway.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi fare from Sultanahmet to Choro Church

Must be something I missed. Even the shopkeeper next to the church said: "do not use the cabs parked here. If you want I cab, I will call the company direct and order one up for you."