We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts and Souvenirs

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Gifts and Souvenirs

Hi –

I will be in Istanbul March 17-20 and have the following items in mind for shopping:

• Nuts (please advice what kinds are famous)

• Turkish Delight

• Calligraphy (depending on whether it is framed or not and that would determine how easy it could be to carry during travel)

• Silver jewelry (if unique and available at good price)

• Turkish artwork/souvenirs etc

I will be visiting the Grand Bazar, Arasata bazaar as well as the spice bazaar. Could someone identify which bazaar should I target for each of the identified items? Also, any other unique gift items that I am missing?

Thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

eur0travel0r, For nuts and spices, you can of course shop at Spice Bazaar. Cafer Erol at Kadikoy marketplace is especially good for assorted candies and Turkish delights, "www.sekercicafererol.com/urunler/index.asp…", for Calligraphy the Grand bazaar, for silver jewelery Grand Bazaar and indepent jewelery stores around GB and finally for souvenirs/artwork Arasta Bazaar, Grand Bazaar and government Dosim store at Eminonu near Spice Bazaar: "http://www.ges.gov.tr/en/urunler/". There are other stores also. Have a look: "www.mydestination.com/istanbul/shopping/22162".

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

For Calligraphy, you should especially visit Nick Merdenyan at the Grand Bazaar: "mydestination.com/istanbul/shopping/129409/n…".

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

Hi EuroO -

SPICE BAZAAR

Pistachios are extremely popular and you will find them prepared in different ways; notably smoked and spiced.

Be sure to try the sesame-coated peanuts. They are my absolute favorite and have been the most-requested souvenirs from my whole family on 2 trips now!

I just tried some popcorn at home sprinkled with Turkish grilling spices and it was very good with a special "kick". You will WANT to bring back some of this and the chicken grilling mix. They are amazing. Check out Store #17. They have a huge selection of spices and candy, all of which you can sample before you buy. Prices are very similar from stand to stand, so you won't have to worry about comparison costs.

Also, do not forget pashminas for any female on your list. I found the most beautiful and unique, both in color and fabric, at the Arasta Bazaar which is also where I found some very cool contemporary design jewelry in silver and remarkable stones. A pendant with pink quartz encased in mixed-metal setting...simply remarkable and very well priced.

Again, my best wishes for your wonderful upcoming trrip!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 21:53
4. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 12:58
Philly
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

thanks !!

Philly
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

Enigma -

I looked at all the websites that you have noted. The Government store looks awesome. I shall make sure I go there.

Also, Cafer Erol at Kadikoy looks great. Where is this and how do I get there?

Thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

eur0travel0r, You take the ferry from Eminonu to Kadikoy (20 minutes) first. And then walk 5 minutes from the pier to Cafer Erol store in the midst of Kadikot marketplace streets.

enigma...

Philly
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

Okay... got it. Thanks !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

You are the sort of tourist and buyer the local shop vendors love.

Make sure to bargain a lot especially on the calligraphy, Turkish delight, silver jewellery & Turkish artwork/souveniers.

For the record if you can afford a day trip to Edirne you can purchase all of above for 1/2 if not less price.

I bought a leather jacket for my wife in January this year from Edirne's bazaar underneath Selimiye mosque.

The seller wanted 330 lira we said we'd be back. Went before closing time and got the jacket for 230 lira.

The same jacket at Istanbul's Grand Bazaar was 550 lira.

Unfortunately the tourists don't bargain and haggle as much which also affects the locals as the merchants jack their prices up.

10. Re: Gifts and Souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:42