We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

My wife and I plan to arrive in Istanbul May 5, 2012.

The generic advice from our tour company is get a visa in advance.

The advice on TA is to get it at the airport, but those notes are at least a few years old, and some of the links to the Turkish embassy no longer function.

Is it still easy, straightforward for a US citizen with a valid US passport to get a 90 day single entry visa for $20 or so (in US dollars) on arrival at IST ?

Has anyone heard of any problems recently ?

Can one get a visa in advance, in person, from the embassy in NYC, and do so without a multi-week wait ?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Hi NotAccidental.

I will defer to the DE's if there has been a change, but travelling to Istanbul in December from Houston, it was a simple procedure. You stop first at a very well-marked area to pick-up your visa before advancing to the customs booths.. It only took 10 minutes. Just attach a $20 bill to your passport, and you're on your way.

Have fun planning your trip with these amazing DE's and don't forget to use the SEARCH box at the top to get many answers on your questions.

Sharon

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

NotAccidental, Just like Sharon has explained above, get your visa at the airport. Nothing has changed. This way is much simpler. Just join the visa line first, hand over your 20 USD bill, get your visa affixed to your passport, and proceed to the immigration line. That is it! Why bother making multiple visits to the Turkish consulate at NYC and paying more for the same thing?

good luck,

enigma...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Not Accidental- I called the Turkish Consulate in Chigaco about a month ago, they said I could get the visa on arrival at airport. I hope so because that is what I plan on doing.,,,enjoy your trip...I can't wait to go!!!

-Rob

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

hello notaccidental

i was in istanbul last month and i purchased my visa at ataturk international airport

it was easy , no problem at all

just have your $20 bill ready and hand it to the person behind the counter

good luck

and enjoy your visit

(i loved my visit to istanbul)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Wait until you arrive. Getting your passport "stamped" with the visa (it's like a very attractive postage stamp), is really, really simple and quick.

The window / is situated BEFORE you get in the immigration line. Hand over your passport and $20. That's it ! The stamp goes on a page in the passport and gets handed back to you. It takes about 10 seconds and you're street legal !

jacksonville
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

i am USA citizen ın istanbul now and paıd 20 USD. they did not even look at me as i went thru.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Definitely get your tourist visa at Ataturk Airport (IST). It's often the fastest, least expensive way. Just get in line, pay $20 cash and show your passport, then get in the other line to have your visa stamped by Immigration.

Have a great time!

8. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 12:58
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Self-advertising on TA isn't allowed -

New Jersey
Level Contributor
198 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet again - Turkish Visa for US citizens ??

Thanks much for all the quick, positive responses.

I won't worry about it.