We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Hi

We'll be travelling to Istanbul mid next week.

I know the weather there has not been very favourable lately but it is finally improving.

Could any of the Istanbul locals here on TA shed some light on when the tulips are expected to be in bloom this year?

Many thanks!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,448 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Mistaya, they would start blooming after the first week of April. The tulip festival is mid April. Have a look. "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…tulip_fest.html".

good luck,

enigma...

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Thank you Enigma!

I will still secretly hope there might be a few in bloom next week :-)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

I would expect that you will see daffodils and some very early tulips. Certainly you will miss the mass blooming of April, but there should be lots of bulb flowers blooming ahead of the tulips.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Do the flowers bloom around early-may,mid April?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Tulips bloom according to the weather. If the spring has been long and mild and warm they bloom early. If it has been unusually cold they might be delayed. It is difficult to predict when they will be in full bloom.

You will find early blooming tulips, along with average blooming tulips and late blooming tulips so they extend the season as long as possible by mixing the plantings.

Generally if you are there in mid-April you will see tulips, but there is no guarantee. I always used to go to the tulip center in the US. One year we spent a month near Seattle and at the end of April there were only a few tulips blooming. That year the tulips did not bloom at all until May. Usually they are nearly finished by May. So it just depends. In the US no one had much of a winter season so the spring flowers are all blooming much earlier than usual. I think Istanbul might have been a bit colder during the winter than it is on average days, but a local resident can answer that question better.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

This photo

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/4463804111/

İ shot 21st of March in İstanbul in one of the parks, İ do not know how you can plan tulips to bloom... down at the Mediterranean in Fethiye the tulips are in full bloom everywhere right now, it is gorgeous!

Veel plezier in İstanboel!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,937 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

As I read this I recalled seeing the photos of the glorious tulips and spring flowers that forumite Turkeysforlife posted earlier this week on their blog - link below.

turkeysforlife.com/2012/03/fethiye-in-bloom-…

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

Attagul, these pictures are taken in Fethiye, not Istanbul.

Nothing blooming in Istanbul yet, I guess.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,482 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

They were stunning mid April last year.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/04/impressions-of-ista…

10. Re: Weather in Istanbul - tulips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:15