We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mailed Laptop Customs

Kayseri, Kayseri...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mailed Laptop Customs

Hi everybody ,i m a refugee and i m living in kayseri , i asked a friend of mine to send me a laptop from united states , it is a used Asus g74sx and the value is about 800$ , a new 60g ssd drive (80$) and a flashdrive as a gift are also in the package , and the shipping cost+insurance costs me about 150$ now it s been more than a week that the usps site says my item is "processed by customs" and when i see the detailed information , it says "Customs Clearance" , so i think it mean that my laptop is gonna cost me some duty charge , is it right ? and if yes , how much do you think it gonna cost me ? and how should i pay it ? will they send me a letter and ask me to pay it or should i go there personally or i should pay the duty charge when they bring the package ?

thanks a bunch .

Kayseri, Kayseri...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

I forgot to say the laptop is not even in its original box .

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

Ahmad, You will get notification from the postal service about the status of your laptop there at the customs. If they ask for a duty, then you will have to go to customs and pay the duties in person and get your laptop. Wait for a few days then go there and iquire about it. Frankly, I think you should have bought a laptop (new or used) at Kayseri.

good luck,

enigma...

Kayseri, Kayseri...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

thanks for reply , i know it would be easier if i wanted to buy it here , but a new one costs about 4000 tl here ! and there s no used one either and the second problem is i didn't found a laptop with english keyboard here , anyway do u have any idea around how much the duty will be ?

i read somewhere in turkey customs laws ,that because my package marked as a gift, the exemption shall apply only to the 300 Euros of the total value .

but i read different things from everywhere , somewhere says that duty gonna costs 10 percent of total value ,somewhere said 18 percent , anyway , any idea will be so helpful , i m so worry it costs me a fortune !

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

Ahmad, Here is the large electronics store called Media Markt at Kayseri Forum. They have laptops with very reasonable prices: "restposten.mediamarkt.com.tr/store.php…".

I think if the declared value of the shipment is more than 300 Euros, you would be paying 10% of the total value as customs duty.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

Hi Ahmad, Several years ago my husband broke his very expensive eye glasses on the way to the airport to leave for Istanbul. We asked our daughter to have them repaired and then ship them to us. The glasses were 3 years old. My daughter insured that package for $800 because that was the replacement cost.

The package ended up in customs in Istanbul. It took me about a week to find them. I took a member of our hotel staff and pockets stuffed with TL and USD to customs. We spent 8 hours at customs. In the end I paid $500USD in customs fees (and bribes) in order to get the three year old glasses.

It would have been better if I would have just purchased new glasses in Istanbul than pay $500 for glasses that were three years old. I would not be surprised if you are not in a similar situation. I would investigate the cost of used laptops in Istanbul before going to customs. It might be a better value for you to purchase something in Istanbul rather than pay customs fees to get the things that were shipped to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

This thread is a good reminder to me as I was planning on shipping and old laptop, iPhone and some clothing so some of my cousins in Istanbul. One of my cousins from Istanbul is coming to visit us so i will get her to take them back to Turkey to avoid making my cousins in Turkey being in a similar situation having to pay duties/taxes.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

If I ever have to have someone ship anything to me in Turkey again, I will certainly advise them not to insure the package. I think customs is less likely to hold a package if there is no monetary factor identified on the package.

I do have a couple of friends who have asked me not to send things to them because it is expensive and time-consuming for them to retrieve things from customs.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

Avoid mailing anything through Turkish customs at all cost.

When I was pregnant 17 years ago and couldn't find any summer clothes to wear, my mother sent me two nylon slip dresses from the USA each with a 4.99 USD price tag attached, in a brown envelope. Customs decided to impose a specialty tax, a textile import without a license tax and I ended up paying 25 USD to get them out.

When my husband shipped his personal belongings from Australia to Turkey (books, photos, clothes, hand tools and his own oil paintings), the items were impounded for three years due to the hand tools and paintings. He had to prove that he was the artist who created the paintings in the first place, but by that time all the items were seized by the government and sent to auction. We had to fly to Istanbul on numerous occasions to bid back what was actually his at these auctions, which caused much interest in his paintings as other bidders assumed they must be valuable. The entire shipment, valued at 500 TL, eventually sold for 20,000 TL, at which point the bidder came to us and tried to sell it back to us for even more. What a way to gain fame!

Edited: 31 March 2012, 09:46
Kayseri, Kayseri...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

wow , thank you all for ur replies and advices , but as everybody did the mistake i didn t even imagine about such customs laws till i find out my package is in customs ,

and as all of you did advice me , i searched anywhere i could to find a good price for what i want , i searched all the kayseri , include kayseri media market , and searched online as well , i even tried to contact some of the dealers but no luck to find first a laptop with english keyboard and second a reasonable price ! ! the laptop i bought is an asus g74sx series laptop the price is so various with different configuration but a mid range one is around 1200$ or less in online stores but i find the exact same model in media market tagged around 4100 TL !!! so if the customs do as the law says and charge me 10% of even a brand new one it still worth it ...

anyway , thanks a lot for ur replies and cares , i hope this horrible experience doesn't cost me a fortune ...

and just one thing else shoud i go to customs and start inquire about my package ? and can i do it in kayseri customs ?

Kayseri, Kayseri...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mailed Laptop Customs

i forgot to mention that in my usps status report it says : "Your item is being processed by customs in TURKEY at 5:16 pm on March 25, 2012."

and when i go to the details , it says : "Customs Clearance ,March 25, 2012, 5:16 pm"

any idea what it exactly means ? is it mean that my package has been completed the process at the customs and awaiting shipping or there s still a chance for it to go under inspection and they apply it for duty ?