We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best views in Istabul.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Best views in Istabul.

Sorry for the typo..

I have 2 evenings to spend in Istanbul, which are the places I should go to to get good views of the mosques and Aya Sofia at sunset.?

I gather Kadikoy is one of them and Galata Tower is another.

So if I spend time around the mosques on the 1st day, then the 2nd day could be utilised for getting to Rumeli Hisari in the morning and Kadikoy in the evening(how far is Maiden' tower from here?)

Is that feasible? Or should I go for Galata Tower? Or Camlica Hill?

Edited: 05 April 2012, 07:47
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best views in Istabul.

Hi again!

For me that is a hard question, İ cannot give one spot for a good view, as İsatnbul is so hilly there are plenty of places with wonderful views, İ am still being surprised over and over again. Even your view is not necessarily over the Blue mosque and Haya Sophia.

Here is Suleymaniye mosque at sunset:

flickr.com/photos/…

You get a nice silhouette from the ferry crossing to the Asian side, also from the restaurants on the top floors of İstiklal street you get a fantastic view. İt was a bright and sunny day which helps a lot! İ took some photos but İ did not upload them yet, İ will try to hurry up and İ will give the link.

İ was myself a bit disappointed with Camlica hill, and as it is quite a trip, perhaps you should save yourself the effort and time.

Also Aya Sophia you get a good view over the Blue mosque:

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/1935927056/

And just a view over the Bosphurus and this amazing city:

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/5288302124/

Then the Maiden Tower is in Üsküdar, you can also take the ferry to there if you like to go and see it, Üsküdar is a lovely area as well. And seen the questions you have asked about food, you can find the restaurant "Kanaat" in Üsküdar which is very good.

İ think the trip to the Asian side is lovely, but since this is your only and very short visit to İstanbul İ think you will be happy on the Galata Tower too.

Nevertheless the Asian side has by far much less tourism and really breathes the cities daily life.

Good luck!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best views in Istabul.

<<<Then the Maiden Tower is in Üsküdar, you can also take the ferry to there if you like to go and see it, Üsküdar is a lovely area as well. And seen the questions you have asked about food, you can find the restaurant "Kanaat" in Üsküdar which is very good.<<<<

have a look through my 2009 Istanbul photos

flickr.com/photos/…

and here for the Madien Tower

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157622960105600

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157622960105600

I also really enjoyed the night views from the top of the Sultan's pub restaurant..had a couple beers there with friends and a great terrace for night photos of the Blue mosque and the Aya sophia

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best views in Istabul.

Great pictures, thanks.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best views in Istabul.

I like the view from Nakkastepe, although it's more about the Bosphorus bridge and Ortakoy than Haghia Sophia but still...it's amazing. One of my favorites.

www.flickr.com/photos/umutozturk/4457119246/

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best views in Istabul.

Thanks all for sharing your pics!! Have decided to spend another day in IStanbul(3 days). Now I know where to get to around sunset.

6. Re: Best views in Istabul.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:15