We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinerary - review request

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 day itinerary - review request

Hi guys

Could someone look over this itinerary that I've made using different people's itineraries. I need to know if this is workable or am I being too ambitious? Anything i can add or should take out?

Any places that need to be switched because they are too far from each other?

Thanks

Istanbul

Day 1 - arrive at 5 pm -Rest

Day 2- Ottomon tour Topkapı Palace Get there at 8:45 am

Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia)

Blue Mosq-Sultanahmet Camii

Byzantine Hippodrome Park

Museum of Turkish and Islamic Art

Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarnıçı)

Day 3 BYZANTINE CONSTANTINOPLE

Kariye Museum

Grand Bazar

Egypt Spice Market

Galata bridge and Tower

Day 4 Sight seeing, shopping

Taksim Square

Dolmabahçe Palace

Day 5 Bosphorous Tour

10:00 am: Go to Eminönü Boğaz İskelesi Ferry Dock - Golden Horn

10:35 am: Bosphorus Cruise Departure

11:45 am: Sarıyer Dock - Get off and have lunch, tour etc.

Reboard the ferry or go by land.

Day 6 Departure19:55 Vist with hosts untill depature

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day itinerary - review request

Hi, I will leave to those locals who are more familiar with transportation and schedules, to better address the actual day-by-day plans. (DEEnigma has vast info on this.)

However as a very recent visitor let me add some of my favorites to your list:

1) Try to fit in a hamam (Turkish bath) - marvelous experience

2) Be sure to include Arasta Bazaar as part of your shopping plans

3) Get to the Spice Bazaar very early in the day, and not on a Saturday and there are several other mosques within walking distance that are not to be missed if even seen from the outside for a great photo op: Rustem and New Mosque.

4) It seems that days 3 and 4 should be shuffled around a bit: I don't think you should see the Spice and Grand Bazaar in the same day.

5) If art is of interest, it would be easy to fit in Istanbul Modern when you visit Dolmabache - or the Pera Museum when you are in Taksim

6) You must spend at least a half day in Kadikoy on the Asian side.

And be sure to try a MODA ice cream to your day of grazing on Istitlal street

Hope this gives you even more to think about.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day itinerary - review request

Here are some guidelines.

*Day 2 seems a bit packed to me.

If you're not too tired and depending on where you're staying at, go to the Blue Mosque and the Hippodrome on 1st day.

All the attractions on day 2 are within walking distance of each other (all located in Sultanahmet area). Pay attention to the opening/closing times:

-Topkapi Palace, 9am-7pm (closed on Tuesdays), charge

-Haghia Sophia, 9am-7pm (closed on Mondays), charge

-Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts, 9am-7pm (closed on Mondays), charge

-Basilica Cistern, daily 9am-7pm, charge

-Blue Mosque, free entry except at prayer times. Generally, avoid visiting any mosque at or within a half hour after the ezan is chanted from the minarets.

*Chora Church is a little off the beaten track.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

To get there, take bus 37E, 31E, 38E or 36KE from Eminonu to Edirnekapi stop. Chora Church is 5 minutes away from there by foot. Be sure to purchase Istanbulkart before. turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…istanbulkart.html

Bus line 36KE http://harita.iett.gov.tr/?hat=36ke

Other alternative is a taxi (15 tl ).

The musem is open daily (except on Wednesdays) from 9am-7pm. Entrance fee is 15tl.

*Grand and Spice Baazar can be done all in the same day but only if you don't hang around a lot at any of those places.

Go to Spice from Grand Bazaar via Uzuncarsi Caddesi, it's a lovely downhill walk.

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…uzuncarsi.html

*On day 4 go to Dolmabahce palace first and early in the morning. Be there before the opening times (9am) to avoid long ques as you will have to que for the tickets first and later for the obligatory guided tour. This visit will take you a few hours.

To get there, take a tram from Sultanahmet/Eminonu and get off at last stop - Kabatas. Palace is 5 minutes away from there by foot.

Closed on Mondays and Thursdays.

To go to Taksim square use a funicular from Kabatas.

Metro map

iics.k12.tr/images/…6_3_3_maps_rail_map_b.gif

Edited: 11 April 2012, 08:11
3. Re: 5 day itinerary - review request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:42