We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Turkey - silly question

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Turkey - silly question

Later this year I will be visiting Turkey for the first time, along with my wife and 2 adult children. The trip is for our 35th anniversary. We will be spending 3 days in Istanbul before chartering a sailboat for a week. So here is the question, for our 30th I upgraded her wedding ring.. it is a little flashy... should we leave it at home? Will it drawn attention, especially vising some of the small villages when we are sailing? I would just have her leave it w/o asking - but removing it will require a visit to the jeweler. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I offended anyone with the question.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

As long as it's not likely to slip off into the sea while swimming (mine did :o( ) İ really can't see a problem.

İ doubt unless it has flashing lights and plays tunes it will draw too much attention except maybe an admiring look.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

Certainly if it takes a trip to the jeweller to get it off, don't worry about it. As vipfamily says, unless it is likely to fall off, or get lost, it isn't going to be an issue (you should see some of the jewellery you can spot on a posh night out in Istanbul!).

Besides, everyone will know you are tourists anyway!

BTW - lovely GSD puppy vipfamily!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

I am going to leave most of my good jewellery at home (not that its worth a fortune) however travel insurance costs go up if you want to include it & really things happen anywhere ..& best to be covered for the worst

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,574 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

<<however travel insurance costs go up if you want to include it & really things happen anywhere .>>

SEcond to that.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

No need to worry, as long as it isn't going to fall off it will be fine as she will be wearing it all the time.

Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

You shouldn't worry, but for travels, I would always leave jewelry home. Regardless of the destination.

http://www.youtube.com/trekkingtravels

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
394 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

I am in the group that always leaves good jewelry home when traveling. If the ring has become too tight to remove, isn't this as good a time as any to have the ring removed and resized by the jeweler?

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

This is a wedding ring and most people want to keep it with them. As it's not likely to slip off or be taken off and left somewhere İ see no reason not to wear it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

Do you plan on giving her the upgraded wedding ring at home before you leave or when you're in Turkey?

If you're giving her the gift at home, then she should definitely bring it with her on the trip. If you're giving your wife the gift in Turkey, then I would leave it at home until you get back. An upgraded wedding ring is not something you want to forget and leave somewhere accidently.

10. Re: First time to Turkey - silly question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:18