We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM availability

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton...
Level Contributor
172 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
ATM availability

Are there many aTM's in Istanbul? Are they secure?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM availability

You will not have any trouble finding safe/secure ATM's from the time you get off the plane to within two blocks of almost every site, popular neighborhood and shopping opportunity. I think it is good to find one associated with a bank near you and make a transaction during the day, just in case something mechanical would malfunction and could be resolved immediately.

Have fun.

Sharon

Edited: 10 May 2012, 04:44
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM availability

Would Ataturk Airport happen to have an ATM associated with a bank nearby? Would require one with Plus.

Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM availability

I don't know if there is a bank nearby, but generally the advice is to get Turkish Lira at the airport in an amount that will cover your transportation into the city, plus tips for taxis and bellboy, etc. and wait til you get settled into your hotel to find one near you. I checked with the desk manager and he pointed out two within one block. I remember most with PLUS.

Finding money will not be your biggest challenge. It will be curbing yourself when you find all the treasures that are to be discovered just walking the streets!!

Have fun.

sharon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM availability

Thanks Sharon.

The problem for me is I might have to withdraw sufficient amount since I will be heading to Izmir directly after landing at Ataturk. Not sure if Selcuk would have the same level of convenience in getting cash or finding money exchange compared to Istanbul.

Hopefully my wife will not exceed our shopping budget!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM availability

Winston, There are lots of ATM's at the Ataturk Airport and some of them belong to banks that have branches at the airport (eg. Garanti Bank). Either use the bank branches (open 24/7) at the airport for currency exchange or use the ATM's to get some TL.

enigma...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM availability

Thanks Engima. A tougher question, would the currency exchange at Ataturk be better in value than what I can get on the streets at Selcuk?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM availability

Winston, I would not bother wasting precious time in quest of better currency exchange rates in Turkey. All rates are determined in the same market and the differences will be miniscule, definitely not worth the storm in the cup. Get your money at most convenient place for you. For a 400 USD exchange, you may one day gain 1-2 USD, another day loose 1-2 USD. You will come out even. So do not worry about differences in exchange rates.

enigma...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM availability

Ok thanks Engima. Read in some older post that there are differences so maybe they omitted the part that the differences is really not significant (unlike what we have here in Indonesia). Will save me alot of time then.

9. Re: ATM availability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:17